Register free!

Old 11-22-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My yearly validation Post.

I think it was either SmallAxe or Kiril that posted their validation post, so here's mine.

Second of two hitching ledges on the property. This one was done entirely by hand as it sits over a 2500 gal brick septic tank. 3 tons of rock compacted every one inch. Anywhere from 14" of crushed rock behind the wall to 8" of rock in the sidewalk section.

In order to get the pavers flat, I used a heavy 8" x 8" hand tamper to flaten them, add poly sand, tamp again, add more poly, and tamp one more time.

The end sections where the old post sat, probably went down 3' into the ground. In order to not to disturb the sub grade and potentially collapse the tank, we left them in place and buried them behind the wall. Originally I was going to do a facia on these sections, but instead cut out the corners and kicked the wall out another 12" in order to not have to do any facia work and keep a solid complete wall.

Hitching post were on back-order, just came in yesterday. The plan is to drill through the cap, into the wall block and attach studs with construction adhesive. I'll post the photos with the post when it's done next week.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Very nice. What did you use to cut the radii on the pavers? How did you get the name cut into the cap?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWG View Post
Very nice. What did you use to cut the radii on the pavers? How did you get the name cut into the cap?
For the radius: I first used a post with a string line on it, and put a sharpie on the end of the line. In this case it was 18" from each strait section. Then mark the pavers.

Then I take each paver and cut with a cheap electric saw with a cheap blade. I use a clamp to attach it to my little custom table. The key is to start about 1/4"-1/2" away from the line so as you cut your radius, you will eventually meet up with your your original line.

Then, if I need to tweak the cut, I set the saw on my little table, holding the blade guard up, and start the saw. Then I just take the pave in hand and "grind" any section against the blade that I need to. Just have to be careful not to get your hand into the blade, and an angle grinder with a diamond blade is probably a better safer solution when tweaking your curve after doing the initial cutting.

The engraving in the cap was done locally by a shop that does monument and custom engravings on head-stones and and anything else such as rocks, boulders and pavers.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I think it was either SmallAxe or Kiril that posted their validation post, so here's mine.
The only validation I need is a satisfied client.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
For the radius: I first used a post with a string line on it, and put a sharpie on the end of the line. In this case it was 18" from each strait section. Then mark the pavers.

Then I take each paver and cut with a cheap electric saw with a cheap blade. I use a clamp to attach it to my little custom table. The key is to start about 1/4"-1/2" away from the line so as you cut your radius, you will eventually meet up with your your original line.

Then, if I need to tweak the cut, I set the saw on my little table, holding the blade guard up, and start the saw. Then I just take the pave in hand and "grind" any section against the blade that I need to. Just have to be careful not to get your hand into the blade, and an angle grinder with a diamond blade is probably a better safer solution when tweaking your curve after doing the initial cutting.

The engraving in the cap was done locally by a shop that does monument and custom engravings on head-stones and and anything else such as rocks, boulders and pavers.

Geez your begging to get hurt, anyway is that a look out post or do you step down onto the lawn from there? I'm just curious as what the walk and space is used for is it to saddle up on horses? Keep up the good work.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's a hitching ledge for horses. Bigger than a step basically. The one I did at the front of the property is actually a bit shorter, but it was due to the grade of the lawn, and the ditch in front of it.

I just got the post painted today. I'll install them within a week.

If you click on my facebook link below, it will take you to the page and the farm house photo album of all the work we've done up there in the last 5 years.

Kiril, this is my hardscaping validation post for this forum. Just so I don't get flame by the hardcore ones on here. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good job on validating yourself!

We still have plenty of guys that have yet to share a single photo of their work.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Good job on validating yourself!

We still have plenty of guys that have yet to share a single photo of their work.

Posted via Mobile Device

Their just so good they don't need to.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

is that a concrete footing on the wall? i like the custom touches like the etching.
also, what pavers are those? nice old world touch
Old 11-24-2012, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
is that a concrete footing on the wall? i like the custom touches like the etching.
also, what pavers are those? nice old world touch
3" footer with 2 parrallel pieces of 3/8" re-bar. Blocks were set in the concrete and the cores of the block were filled with concrete. I wanted that wall to last. My only concern is getting a crack that runs through the whole thing, but I think the blocks are independent enough still that it won't happen.

Those are Whitaker/ Greer clay pavers. Two different color runs. #37 and #38. The also were run throughout the 400' section of sidewalk we did almost 5 years ago.

The thing I'm most proud of in this one section is that it was done by hand with no compactor, only hand tampers. The only power tool used was a chop saw, and my mini skid to move dirt in for final grading.