Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2012, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Customer wants lawn mowed twice each visit

Is this that unusual? It's the first time I ran into it.

I'm working up a quote for a couple in a very upscale area and she said that her husband likes to have a checkered pattern on the lawn so he wants it mowed in two different directions each visit. So basically I have to mow the lawn twice each week.

My personal opinion is that it would be better to mow the lawn once every week but alternate the pattern each week. As their lawn stands right now there's quite a bit of compaction because the mower wheels run through the same spot every week. Not sure if I should mention my concern and maybe give them two prices, once for twice mowing weekly and another for once mowing weekly?

Thoughts???
Old 11-22-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If they expect it to be striped like this charge accordingly. You can include aeration in your agreement or add it on later but let them know it is needed.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I double cut most of my lawns as a matter of course, at least the front. It really doesn't take much more time to do the second cut since you don't need to get into all the nooks and crannies on the second mow. I have never had a customer specify that they want a double cut, I just do it. I would just give them what they want and charge accordingly.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not a big deal. Cut one way, then cut the other way. I charge 1-1/2 for double cuts.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i do that to some of my better accounts anyway, like darryl said it doesn't take much time to the second cut, you don't have to worry about missing a blade of grass or anything since you already made the first cut, for me with my cheetah that's when i put it in high range and cruise at 13-16mph depending on the account and how flat it is, but cutting at 16mph really speeds up laying down a pattern. my customers love it and i'm still highly productive. maybe try to get a second mower in there so while you are cutting one direction he is cutting another and you can both cut at wide open since you guys will be cutting the whole lawn a second time.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, that answered my question. First time I ran into this because I am trying to work my way into this high end neighborhood, and yes I did include a twice yearly aeration in the quote since their lawn doesn't seem to drain well. I'll plan on charging 1.5 times the amount I would for just a single cut.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Chances are if they're requesting a double cut they want everything else to look top notch too, but 150% should cover that as well.

Something I do when I'm doing the estimates for high end properties...when I'm walking the property with the customer I pick up some twigs, leaves or trash as we're going around, without ever saying a word about it, or even pull a weed or 2...like it's a subconscious thing...very nonchalant. So here's this lawn guy who hasn't even been hired yet and he's picking up little bits of debris off my lawn.....I wonder what he'll do after I hire him.....
Old 11-22-2012, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Chances are if they're requesting a double cut they want everything else to look top notch too, but 150% should cover that as well.

Something I do when I'm doing the estimates for high end properties...when I'm walking the property with the customer I pick up some twigs, leaves or trash as we're going around, without ever saying a word about it, or even pull a weed or 2...like it's a subconscious thing...very nonchalant. So here's this lawn guy who hasn't even been hired yet and he's picking up little bits of debris off my lawn.....I wonder what he'll do after I hire him.....
That's funny, I do the same thing, I even bend down and pick off a few blades of grass and look at it real close, LOL