Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Truck and trailer weight questions

i have found a dump truck that i like. It is a 1986 international s1600, crew cab, with (i think) a 10 foot dump bed.7.3l , I talked to the seller about the weight. He said its under CDL and the only weight he could give me was the shipping weight. the shipping weight is 6,595lbs. Im sure thats without the dump bed. the one thing i cant figure out is, can it pull my 26 foot enclosed trailer(10,000 GVWR)legaly in vriginia. i dont want to have to deal with the whole CDL thing. Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2012, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your asking if you can tow the trailer without a cdl the quick answer would be no. the combined weight of the truck and trailer would be over 26,000# which would require a cdl. you should be able to drive the truck alone with a medical card and proof of being in a drug screen consortium.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 11-22-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That shipping weight sounds like its coming with out an engine. My ram 4500s are just over 9000 pounds empty and this truck is bigger than 16000 gvw in fact I looked up the model and found one that listed it at 23300 gvw. So not sure if that number varies from truck to truck depending on options but I would suspect the light weight is wrong.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I have this same truck pretty much. You will need a cdl because your combined gvwr is over 26000lbs, with a 10k trailer you'll be over. If not towing the trailer, you'd be fine.
The gvwr on that truck should be around 20k. You'll need a class b cdl.
If towing a trailer over 10001 lbs you'd need class a cdl.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Class b cdl to tow the trailer that is
Old 11-22-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All I can say is to call the dmv or highway patrol to find out. I always thought in VA you would only need a cdl for length requirments. But I have no need for one as I dont have anything bigger than a 16ft trailer.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I have gotten tons of use out of my truck though, I took the backseat out and I put tools back there, the truck rarely breaks down b/c it's built heavy duty, it can haul about anything u put in the relatively small bed, and it didn't break the bank. Tires are $$$ though.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Oak View Post
i have found a dump truck that i like. It is a 1986 international s1600, crew cab, with (i think) a 10 foot dump bed.7.3l , I talked to the seller about the weight. He said its under CDL and the only weight he could give me was the shipping weight. the shipping weight is 6,595lbs. Im sure thats without the dump bed. the one thing i cant figure out is, can it pull my 26 foot enclosed trailer(10,000 GVWR)legaly in vriginia. i dont want to have to deal with the whole CDL thing. Thanks for any help.
YES. The truck is under CDL and the 10k trailer is under CDL as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn View Post
the combined weight of the truck and trailer would be over 26,000# which would require a cdl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
I have this same truck pretty much. You will need a cdl because your combined gvwr is over 26000lbs, with a 10k trailer you'll be over.
Can either of you show us why or where it says one needs a CDL for a combo over 26k alone? Without the trailer being over 10k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
Class b cdl to tow the trailer that is
That is just ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQL10 View Post
All I can say is to call the dmv or highway patrol to find out. I always thought in VA you would only need a cdl for length requirments. But I have no need for one as I dont have anything bigger than a 16ft trailer.
Length virtually means nothing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Listen to Duffster here.

All other info is terrible. Where do people get their bad info from?! The CDL rules are quite simple.

Again:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds PROVIDED the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite