Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
I never have luck with other contractors. They either never get back to me or make me look bad to my customer by not showing up or whatever.

So I'm getting trained and licensed this December so I can do it myself.
How do you go about getting trained and licensed? Itd be good to do this part of the work to expand business opportunities a little more.

2011 Silvy Crew Cab 4x4
2010 5x8 Utility
Couple mow-ers
-2007 Wright Stander RH 48"
-2010 Crapsman 22"
-1998 Lawnboy 21"
Couple Trimmerz
and more!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I'm taking the test next week, was it hard??
I took it in the Spring in NC I did pass but, yes it was difficult for me. Get the books early and study, study study. It wasn't the type of test that you could just study the questions and answers in the review chapter sections in the books and expect to pass. Know all the material.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

The test is not difficult. The first part is mainly common sense questions you should pass that easily. Just review the questions in the back of each chapter and you will be good. The turf and ornamental can be tricky but a lot of the answers appear in other questions and the rest is common sense and they had 1 calculation question. Make sure you know about the characteristics and damages of the most mentioned bugs in the turf and ornamental sections of the book such as the white grubs, Japanese beetles and the 2 different caterpillars that form web like nets and how to distinguish them from each other. Also know about the 2 beetles that attack trees. Also know the three types of grasses and distinguish them from each other and know your basic crabgrass weeds.
Also know the meaning of peri-annaul and bi-annual. Everything I mentioned you should pass. good luck.
36" Walk behind bobcat Mower with sulky.
Echo/stihl stuff
5 by 10 trailer.
Commercial Pesticide License#:19195
and a little bit of JESUS

www.islandlawnandpressure.com

Don't Quit Try Harder!!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebrowns View Post
The test is not difficult. The first part is mainly common sense questions you should pass that easily. Just review the questions in the back of each chapter and you will be good. The turf and ornamental can be tricky but a lot of the answers appear in other questions and the rest is common sense and they had 1 calculation question. Make sure you know about the characteristics and damages of the most mentioned bugs in the turf and ornamental sections of the book such as the white grubs, Japanese beetles and the 2 different caterpillars that form web like nets and how to distinguish them from each other. Also know about the 2 beetles that attack trees. Also know the three types of grasses and distinguish them from each other and know your basic crabgrass weeds.
Also know the meaning of peri-annaul and bi-annual. Everything I mentioned you should pass. good luck.
Good stuff thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isenberg Lawn Care View Post
How do you go about getting trained and licensed? Itd be good to do this part of the work to expand business opportunities a little more.
I'm going to an industry expo that will have 2 day training and you can take the test after. (I may wait to study more and take the test local though) .

Each state is different. You need to search your local colleges and tech schools to find a course and/or material to study to take the test.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I'm going to an industry expo that will have 2 day training and you can take the test after. (I may wait to study more and take the test local though) .

Each state is different. You need to search your local colleges and tech schools to find a course and/or material to study to take the test.
Would the 2 day training session give enough education? Or would it just be the basics? Im not quite sure what to search for online to look into it. Its tough working full time currently and also doing Lawn Care. Although I want to further educate myself and also to expand my services.

2011 Silvy Crew Cab 4x4
2010 5x8 Utility
Couple mow-ers
-2007 Wright Stander RH 48"
-2010 Crapsman 22"
-1998 Lawnboy 21"
Couple Trimmerz
and more!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check the pest control forum here at lawn site. They have info on what you need.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isenberg Lawn Care View Post
Would the 2 day training session give enough education? Or would it just be the basics? Im not quite sure what to search for online to look into it. Its tough working full time currently and also doing Lawn Care. Although I want to further educate myself and also to expand my services.

Check your state department of agriculture. Look around for the pesticide application areas. I assume you live in Pennsylvania so I copied the link below were you might need to start looking. You may be able to study on your own. They may provide you with study material through the mail for a small fee. Give your self 2 months of studying part time since you are already working full time. Call some numbers on the link below so someone can possibly point you in the right direction and expalin your situation to them and go from there. Good Luck

Click the link below.

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/p...d=0&palid=113&
36" Walk behind bobcat Mower with sulky.
Echo/stihl stuff
5 by 10 trailer.
Commercial Pesticide License#:19195
and a little bit of JESUS

www.islandlawnandpressure.com

Don't Quit Try Harder!!

Last edited by kebrowns; 11-30-2012 at 08:48 PM.