Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Red Max EBZ 8001 cutting off

I have an older Red Max EBZ 8001. It has developed a random issue where it will be running fine and all of a sudden, it will cut off just like I hit the kill switch. It does this more often at lower throttle speeds but sometimes, it will do it at full throttle.

No clue as to what is happening. When it does this, I can just pull the rope starter and it fires right back up no problem. Then five minutes or five days later, it will die again. Very frustrating.

Any ideas?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Down by the carb there are some electrical "butt conectors" the wire loosen up inside those. Push them in good on both ends and see if that helps.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Down by the carb there are some electrical "butt conectors" the wire loosen up inside those. Push them in good on both ends and see if that helps.
That ain't gonna do nothin'! It will run all day long with one or both of those wires disconnected, or loose! In fact, the best way to isolate yer problem is to disconnect both wires and see if it cures it. Just use the choke to kill it.
You could have a short in the wires or the switch in the handle ( very common).
Less common is a short where the wire/s come out from the block, and rub on the aluminum. Not a big deal to check, pull the tank and then the plastic coil cover.

It could be fuel related, but usually it will act up a bit before it dies. Have you checked the tank/cap vent? Could be a loose carb.
Do the wire thing first and see........

......AMF!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll trace the wiring. Its highly likely that's it. Almost positive its not fuel related. When it cuts off, it cuts off immediately just like the kill button. No sputtering, dying out, or anything similar to a fuel issue.

Thanks guys