Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Solo Op Debris Loader: Prep for next year

Hey guys,
i realised this year loading leaves is quite hard.
what i want to do is have a tow behind debris loader. it would need to be 36" wide at most to fit through gate.
could i buy a trailer this small and mount the loader on it with a professionals help?
thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not quite understanding. You want a debris loader to be able to get through gates on customer's properties? Or it has to be that narrow for your personal storage needs or what? Or are you wanting something like a Cyclone Rake? Is this to load your truck or to collect debris directly off of lawns?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Not quite understanding. You want a debris loader to be able to get through gates on customer's properties? Or it has to be that narrow for your personal storage needs or what? Or are you wanting something like a Cyclone Rake? Is this to load your truck or to collect debris directly off of lawns?
sorry for the lack of clarity
this is to get the leaves onto the truck
and this has to be 36" to get through my gate for storage
thank you
Old 11-22-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can buy a tow-behind leaf loader that will fit in your gate. I know the Billy Goat ones are only 32 inches wide. The smallest they make is a 25HP model though. Other ones may meet your requirements too.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

do you know the trailer model?
Old 11-23-2012, 04:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a link. DL25 and DL35 are their tow behind units. http://www.billygoat.com/Product-Cat...tractor-munici
Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks sir. i looked at those and will go with a smaller unit. that is why i need to buy them seperately. i think 16 or 18 would be good for me. plus not looking to spend over $5000 for it. I dont think the little trailer could cost more than $500
Old 11-23-2012, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get the 18hp Billy goat if your deciding between the 2 smaller models. I'm a solo op and the 18hp is perfect for me. Its fast with 1/4 acre lots and still works great for my 3 acre jobs. Once you get a solid technique and get a feel for what the machine can take it will begin to help your production big time.
You can either mount the machine on the front of you truck which I do, get a swing away hitch for the back of the truck, or mount it on the front of your trailer. Last option is to use your rear hitch but the obviously means you can't pull your trailer at the same time which won't work for a lot of people.
I built a wooden box on wheels so when I need to take the loader off I just wheel the box underneath, pull the pin on the hitch, and pull the loader off onto the box. Takes a little practice but it sure beats always needing a helper to unload it.
2007 Exmark 48" Turf Tracer HP 17hp
2 Shindaiwa Trimmers
Echo T755-H Backpack plower
JRCO dethatcher
6x14' Big Tex Open Trailer
Little Wonder 10hp blower
Echo T-150 Hedge Trimmer
Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I am looking at a similar purchase.A tiny trailer is a specialty item - the manufacturers don't produce a lot of them, so you may be surprised to see a high price for them. I am wondering if the JRCO blower buggy attachment would work for me.

Your mowers must be 36" wide max if they fit thru your gate, right ? They make blower buggys for mowers that narrow. And the debris loaders are narrow enough to fit on the blower buggy. You wouldn't have to mount the debris loader at all, just quick attach it to your mower when you need it and push it out to your trailer.

Here is the link for the blower buggy. A video link here shows that it handles a blower at full speed, and the blower vibration must be similar to that of the debris loader.

JRCO's mower fit list is here I would mount a debris loader to a 36" metro or similar.

Last edited by Chris Feenan; 11-23-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the swing away mount costs approx $900 for the leaf loader. this would make the price minimum $2000 for a used leaf loader and a new swing away mount.
CTmower- how do you get your leaf loader ON the truck? This is a complex scenario for a 100% solo op.

chris. it would fit my exmark metro wb, but its quite expensive for just a cart. i could probably build one for less than $100. if i had a trailer that was less than 36" wide i could just pull that into my gate.