Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of people do put the leaf loader on the tonuge of the trailer. I had mine on the gate of my dump trailer but I have a front-end loader on my tractor which made it pretty easy to get on/off.

Keep in mind that any trailer you make fabricate is going to have to be street legal...lights, fenders etc...at least that's how it is where I am. And registering a "home-made" trailer can be a bit of a process. I have seen swing-away hitches with a tow hitch on them too. I only used my leaf loader one season...I prefer to just grind up the leaves and bag them with my mower. If I had a dump truck instead of a dump trailer I might have more use for it.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

The problem that I would have with a trailer for a loader is that I can't have my 14' trailer full of useful stuff. If you are loading into a leaf box on your truck, you are going to have trouble finding room for blowers, hand tools, etc when the leaf box is full at the end of the day.

And I've looked - it seems like it will be hard to find a road worthy trailer that is 36'' wide total. After wheels and fenders, that axle is less than 2 ft wide. Wanna build one ?

If you build a JRCO type blower buggy, you can run it up on your landscape trailer. Then you have your mower on the job site, and any other things that you want on a Fall cleanup too - walk behind blower, Billy Goat Leaf vac, etc. You can easily disconnect the JRCO blower buggy at the job site, leave it at the truck to do it's thing, and have the mower to bag up stragglers, etc.

This JRCO blower buggy sold here for $175 or less, very recently.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

We have our billy goat leaf loader 18 hp on an 6x12 open trailer and box on our dump insert on a chev 2500 with a mesh tarp for good air flow to pack it in and use large tarps, put a much as you can drag or hook the tarp to your mower and pull through the gate the tarp will compress to fit it through then dump it out by your loader.I did that way when i was solo for years work smart not hard.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm pretty much a solo operator (I have a helper maybe a day or two a week). What I did was bought a Billygoat truck loader and fabricated a base to mount it on the tongue of a dump trailer. I like having it on the tongue so I never have to take it off / put it on. Plus it stays level when dumping. Best money I ever spent. I don't have any pictures with me but I think I have some in my equipment thread. My only challenge is, I have to swap trailers between cleaning up and vacuuming. My route is pretty tight so it's not much of an issue. I basically pile up leaves at a couple of houses then run home, grab the other trailer and vacuum them up.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
sorry for the lack of clarity
this is to get the leaves onto the truck
and this has to be 36" to get through my gate for storage
thank you
I made a dolly type frame for my 16 hp with 2 pivoting wheels and 2 non pivoting wheels. I rolled it on and off the trailer. I loaded my truck from the front. Worked real slick.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlavin73 View Post
I'm pretty much a solo operator (I have a helper maybe a day or two a week). What I did was bought a Billygoat truck loader and fabricated a base to mount it on the tongue of a dump trailer. I like having it on the tongue so I never have to take it off / put it on. Plus it stays level when dumping. Best money I ever spent. I don't have any pictures with me but I think I have some in my equipment thread. My only challenge is, I have to swap trailers between cleaning up and vacuuming. My route is pretty tight so it's not much of an issue. I basically pile up leaves at a couple of houses then run home, grab the other trailer and vacuum them up.

that sounds great. thanks for sharing