Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2012, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Need to replace my Hustler

Hello everyone, this is my first ever question. I have been using a Hustler 42" cut with a Kohler engine for 4 years, it is their Fastrack model, it has about 400 hours on it. I have looked at the new ones, but have also looked at Bad Boy, Gravely, and Dixie Chopper. I am trying to stay around the 3700 dollar range. I am totally confused. At age 59, I hope this is the last Zero turn I will ever buy. The Gravely salesperson showed me a 44" commercial, a 2012 model, that he will let go for around 4600. I mow several locations, not commercially, just properties that I have. The Gravely seems to offer more comfort with my legs, since I have 2 knee replacements. I need to do something, I have already sold my Hustler. Any suggestions?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Get a full commercial mower and then it will be the last one you buy.. You end up getting another residential mower it will only last you another 4 years if your lucky..
Old 11-23-2012, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, that makes sense. I will keep that in mind.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely get a commercial mower for longevity. Was your Hustler going to crap already at 400hrs? Was it a low end residential unit? I have never run a gravley, I have a used 48" Ariens with 300-400 hrs and I can't remember the motor brand. It had a fabricated, not stamped deck but it was a piece of crap, cut well but the hydros were already going bad and couldn't handle and incline.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 11-23-2012, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I actually had no problems with the Hustler. It was a Fastrack, which is a residential unit, but I am leaning towards the commercial units, they just seem to be a lot sturdier, especially since I am mowing several locations. thanks for your help.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My question I guess is why did you get rid of the Hustler at only 400 hours? That machine could of went to 1000 hours I would guess without too many headaches and I would guess 2K if you were to invest a few dollars along the way, which would be much cheaper in the long run than dropping another 4K on a new machine.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

there is validity to what you are saying. The only problem I ever had with the Hustler was self inflicted, I tore the side grass chute off of it right from the frame. It would have had to been welded back in place. I had a good offer for it, and I just thought a new heavier commercial unit would be better, and I really like the Kawasaki motors that most units have on them now. The Kohler engine that I had, which was problem free, was having some issues according to the Hustler dealer I bought it from. He even said it was just a matter of time. I just figured its time to trade up, just one more time. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the Kawasaki motor, they are hands down the best motors. From my understanding from my dealer is that the Kohler's need the higher hp just to get the same torque/power.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

You just are not going to get much better than what you currently have for $3700. Bare minimum you are looking at $5k to get into the true commercial grade units....The new Gravely Pro Turn unit will be priced right in that range and should be one heck of a mower for the price, as well as the new Kubota unit. Wait till Feb/March until all the new models are released. But if you can't go up that high, I would keep what you have and keep it maintained and save $3700.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't understand why you sold your Hustler, you could have added flex forks and a good aftermarket suspension seat, it was just broke in with 400hours.

You are going to have to step your budget up to get what you want. Bad Boy makes the CZT42" which is an entry level commercial unit, but that will run you into the mid 5K range. You could also look into a Ferris which has the full suspension, but again, you getting into the 6k range. Bobcat has a few good entry level commercial units at the 5K range. Keep an eye on Craigs list, maybe you can find a used commercial unit.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 11-26-2012 at 01:44 PM.