Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Single Axle or Dual Axle

Hey Everyone,
I am curious what you all think. I have gotten several different opinions on this matter.

I have a Scag Tiger Cat 52' and a Scag 36' WB. Along with trimmers, edger, blower, toolbox etc.

I need to get a new trailer for this coming year, and need to figure out if i need to get dual axle or not.

It would sure be nice to save money on the trailer and get a single axle, then have the $$ to put somewhere else, but it would also be nice to have a dual axle and have the peice of mind that i have brakes.

Thanks for your opinions.

Oh and I am pulling with a 07 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Single Axle or Dual Axle

I believe the max length single axle trailer is 14 ft long after that you have to go dual.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Single Axle or Dual Axle

I ran a single axle with two Sachs. One zrt and one walk behind. Along with trimmers blowers toniest etc. it was awesome having a single simply due to only having two tires to replace, more maneuverable and it fit everything I needed. Not having brakes sucked tho. I just sold it to upgrade to a dual axle but only because u needed it to start hauling my new compact tractor. If you're sure u won't need a dual axle then don't get it. If u think u might need extra space in the future along with more weight capacity, then just get the dual mow. But if you're strictly doing mowing and nothing more then I'd recommend the single axle. So really only u can answer this question. Hth
Old 12-24-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Services View Post
I ran a single axle with two Sachs. One zrt and one walk behind. Along with trimmers blowers toniest etc. it was awesome having a single simply due to only having two tires to replace, more maneuverable and it fit everything I needed. Not having brakes sucked tho. I just sold it to upgrade to a dual axle but only because u needed it to start hauling my new compact tractor. If you're sure u won't need a dual axle then don't get it. If u think u might need extra space in the future along with more weight capacity, then just get the dual mow. But if you're strictly doing mowing and nothing more then I'd recommend the single axle. So really only u can answer this question. Hth
Did you ever have any problems stopping without trailer brakes in rain or wet roads?
Old 12-24-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would say dual axle for the sake if expansion
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-24-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you want a single axle order a new trailer just have it built with brakes it only takes about four weeks to build i ordered one two years ago and it only added $125.00 to the price.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd go with a tandem axle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-24-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you stay single, and a 1/2 ton, you'll be below the magic 10,001 lbs, set forth by Mr. D.O.T....I have both, 3/4 ton 18' maxey, and a 1/2 ton 6 1/2 x 12 single...
Old 12-24-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A properly built 6X12 with a 3500lb axle loaded as you said will have barely an inch of travel left. Small bumps and the axle is hitting the frame. I speak from experience.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Trailers age parts wear out and metal fatigue is a fact of life. I have had a wheel snap off the axle once and it gave no signs it had a problem. I have had the bearings fail on a wheel once and it wouldn't have driven another 1000 feet when it did. Again no signs there was a problem till there is one. I have had an old lady merge into my trailer once and bend an axle.

In all cases the trailers had dual axles and in all cases were able to limp home after being unloaded into one of our other trails on 3 wheels. It's nice to have that ability and if you had a single axle in all 3 cases you'd be getting a flat bed and a nice bill plus the loss of your day.