Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re-painting trailer, how to:

We have a 18' open trailer with high gloss lime green paint on it, about 10 years old...we are wanting to re paint the trailer white...what are the necessary or best ways to prep before painting? Will sand blasting take all of the current paint off? what about primer, is that necessary for the new paint job? any advice would be helpful as this will be our first paint job
Old 11-23-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes sandblasting will remove all paint, primer, rust, debris, etc from trailer. Are you using spray paint? Not sure if they make a DTM (Direct To Metal) spray paint but if your gonna brush & roll then Sherwin Williams has DTM products that require no primer. They have a DTM Waterborn & DTM Alkyd. If your not spray painting, I recommend the the DTM Alkyd for durability. DTM Waterborn (Latex) is rubbery & will peel off like skin if it gets scraped, also will rust quicker then if you use Alkyd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

IF your looking for longevity and durability I would have it Powder Coated...
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I would look into POR-15. It's not cheap but it's very durable. I don't think you would need to sandblast. I would just remove any of the rust scale. Surface rust can be painted over with POR-15. The one thing you need to do though is after you paint it with POR-15, you will have to go over it with another coat of paint. I think POR-15 if exposed to areas that will be in direct sunlight will change color. I just did my dump bed tailgate with a coat of POR-15 then went over it with Rustoleum and it came out great.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't sandblast, you will at least need to sand the old paint to scuff it up & get rid of the gloss/sheen. Sanding by hand or with electric palm sander will allow for new paint to bond to old. Also there is a rust inhibitor that I used on steel lentels on a brick house years ago. The inhibitor was milky white & watery & when brushed on rust, it would turn the rust black & stop the rusting process. Think I bought the rust inhibitor at auto parts store but may have been Sherwin Williams.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would just wire wheel the whole trailer to remove any loose paint/ rust and scuff up the old paint. Then I would wash it or wipe it down with acetone. I would prime the rusty spots, or the whole trailer for the best job, with a rusty metal primer. Then follow with 2 coats of paint. The more paint the better so two coats minimum.

I did this with my last trailer. I used rustoleum products and it has held up pretty well. I just brushed it cause I would have used a ton of spray cans.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro36 View Post
I would just wire wheel the whole trailer to remove any loose paint/ rust and scuff up the old paint. Then I would wash it or wipe it down with acetone. I would prime the rusty spots, or the whole trailer for the best job, with a rusty metal primer. Then follow with 2 coats of paint. The more paint the better so two coats minimum.

I did this with my last trailer. I used rustoleum products and it has held up pretty well. I just brushed it cause I would have used a ton of spray cans.
Agreed, keep it simple. Ultimately it's a trailer, and a landscape trailer at that. No need to spend too much time and effort on something that's just going to take a beating.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.