Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2012, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Personal Vegetable Gardening Service

80% of my work is done within a retirement community of 85,000+, residents so there's always a unique service to offer if you can dream it.
While watching some videos about preparing for the upcoming economic collapse it hit me that they might enjoy a small veggie garden but don't want to invest the time/effort. Seems strange doesn't it, I deliver garden compost but haven't had one thing growing for about a year now. I just can't find the time.
Any of you offer or know of someone that offers to install small raised garden beds within a flowerbed, plant & maintain the veggies for the homeowners cosumption? Get home from work & walk around the house to look for an green flag which means RTE(ready to eat). The yellow flags mean just a week longer & they'll be ready so start planning on a dish to include it in.
I suspect the most difficult part would be your own time management as well as what to charge.
Maybe a cost average arrangement:
Monthly maintenance $35 which includes your time for weekly visits, the use of the raised beds & materials(compost, fertilizers, stakes etc).
Choose what you want to eat with Seed rates: You decide just $7 per raised box worth.
Romaine Lettuce, Carrots, Beats, Spinach.

How about a honeybee hive delivery & install service?
I have found that there are many unique service options out there that don't take much overhead & I'm not competing with 500+ others for the same work.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The concern I would have with the garden is what happens if the crop is wiped out. Disease or pest will ruin one in a weeks time between visits. Veggies need careful daily water, can't leave that up to a customer already paying you to tend it. The home garden is usually for people trying to save a buck or personal fulfillment. I've had similar experience with people that want award winning roses until I gave them the estimate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To make a vegetable garden work you need to be there just about every day, and small garden's aren't big enough to produce enough food or to make it worthwhile for someone to pay you. Old folk's aren't going to pay for your help growing vegetable's, right or wrong, that just isn't going to happen, now flower's are a different story.

Last edited by agrostis; 11-24-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let's talk flowers then. Had a Pinestraw/Compost customer last week ask about Pansies. She said she wants some color for a change. How's that all work?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Id put rased beds in, I wouldnttry to grow a vegatable garden for anyone but mysself.

Has far has flower beds go planting pansies would be nice, guess you could eat those.

Seriously if you dont have your own food garden try it next year, its a lot of work.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure what you are asking, but in Summerfield Fla. you have a warm climate and a bunch of choices for annuals or perennials. Someone closer to your area can give you better advise.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen pansies in all kind's of food.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Q9QEwDA&dur=78
Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I applaud you for thinking outside the box. It is pretty clear that you have never had a small garden and do not understand the time investment and challenges that come about. I had 80% of my veggies wiped out this year by an armadillo.

You could offer the bed prep and tilling services which are profitable.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I think you're on to something by offering vegetable gardening. Maybe you should ask some potential customers what they'd buy before you decide what you're going to try to sell them.
Maybe all they want is a topsy-turvy tomato. You buy them in bulk and make a buck apiece. You sell one to every one of the 85,000 residents. There you go!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Deliver mature plants in pots... A pot with a broccoli head ready to eat, will produce many more broccoli heads after the main stem is clipped... pansies arranged around the base would be a nice touch... a window box full of leaf lettuce that can be harvested almost daily, intermingled with other popular herbs at the clients' request...
In a retirement community I would build raised beds out of something solid enough for them to sit on as the weeded, watered, cultivated and harvestted...

I'd done vegetable gardens mixed with flowers etc. years ago,,, but there is very little interest in gardening anymore in this culture...