Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2012, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Decisions! Box truck or 3/4 ton w/ utility bed?

In a toss up. So here is the run down. I really need a second vehicle for the upcoming season. Trying to grow the irrigation and tree/land work sides of my business. It get pretty tricky scheduling only having my dually for pulling trailers/work truck. I would love a box truck but would still only have one truck to pull trailers. I have 2x goosenecks, open landscape and an 18' enclosed trailer. I found a used box truck and a 3/4 ton with utility body both in same price range. The 3/4ton is a 99 chevy reg cab, gas. I would take the lift gate off and put a towing package on it to pull my open/ enclosed trailers and possible get a small bumper pull equipment trailer for my skid steer. The utility body is in great shape, would be good for keeping irrigation tools/parts and my chainsaws/rope etc... Could make service calls without bringing a trailer. Ughhhh decisions. Seller is asking $2800 obo for the chevy. Would like to upgrade skidsteers but may hold off and get a second truck first. Here are a few pics of chevy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A utility box would be very handy for irrigation. I'd think twice about removing the liftgate. I have on on my 05 Ford, it has been proven handy more than once. Some of the receiver hitches can mount without getting in the way of the lift. On my pickup it is that way.

The other option is to look for a utlity box that has some lower sides that would allow for a gooseneck hitch. Of course you can remove the lift and sell it and recoup some of your investment. Without looking at the box truck I'd say this would be a good deal and a good fit as a second vehicle.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 11-25-2012, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When I worked for another company I did irrigation in a truck just like that with a pipe rack. Worked pretty good. But they also had a big van truck (think UPS) that was better in terms of walking in an looking for parts in the bins. But hauling long pipe and trailers wasn't its strong points.

Sounds like you need another truck so a service body would be the ticket.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just read through your other thread about the box truck. The storage inside the box would be nice. I would think setting up the box truck would take a bit of time, the end result would be handy.

A pipe rack on this and setting up a tow package this pickup would be as handy if not more so for irrigation, trees and pulling a bumper pull trailer.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 11-25-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

would be nice to have a truck pullling my skidsteer while, i pull my dump trailer.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 11-25-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a truck very similar to the 3/4 ton you are looking at, mine was just a 1998 GMC diesel but had a stahl service body on it. The big problem I found is that in Michigan those service bodies rust quickly...you don't have to worry about that like I do though seeing where you are located. But I will say that you can store all kinds of stuff in those service bodies and for irrigation that would be a very good truck to use.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 11-25-2012, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
I had a truck very similar to the 3/4 ton you are looking at, mine was just a 1998 GMC diesel but had a stahl service body on it. The big problem I found is that in Michigan those service bodies rust quickly...you don't have to worry about that like I do though seeing where you are located. But I will say that you can store all kinds of stuff in those service bodies and for irrigation that would be a very good truck to use.
Its crazy the shape of older trucks in the south. That truck here wouldn't have cab corners or brake lines ...(kinda like mine). haha Im so on the edge of taking a trip down south and picking up a 2wd truck for the mowing route..some good deals to be had.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get both.. Seriously.

Those are cheap trucks set utility truck up first, take your time setting the box van up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a box truck and I have been really surprised at how bad the gas mileage is. Mine is a 96 ford E350 with a 14' box and my mileage is in the 7-8 MPG range. The box is nice and convenient to see everything spread out in front of you and there is tons of room but climbing in and out takes its toll. Also getting the shelving and tool hangers set up is costly and takes some time and no matter how much time you spend planning it two weeks later you are ready for a redesign. The only thing that it is better for is transporting plants. Plus everyone wants to borrow it to move with. My vote is for the Utility bed.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Leaning towards the utility body. Definitly need a spare truck now. My dually is goin in the shop.
Posted via Mobile Device