Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

SX82 running rough

Got this SX82 on Craigslist for free. Was told it just didn't run anymore. Got it home threw a battery in it to begin a diagnosis. Original 8hp Briggs had a hole in the block behind the starter. Head was full of oil soaked grass and debris. Guessing it overheated and threw a rod when it tried to lock up. Something of that nature.
I then found the recommended replacement briggs that is an 11hp engine also for sale on craigslist. I got 2 of them. One for $20 and one for $30. The $30 engine I was told ran good so I put it in($20 engine was of unknown running condition). Now I am having trouble with the 11hp engine.

1) It is hard to start I have to adjust the carb way back to get it to fire up even with the throttle cable dialed back.

2) Once it is running I can dial the cable up to fast and then adjust the carb so it is actually going fast. But it still is barely fast enough to run the blade and drive at the same time.

3) It vibrates really bad. Like a violent vibration.

4) Sounds to me like I have bottom end issues.

I am going to attach a link to it running I put on you tube so you guys can hear it.

Looking for advice as far as should I tear it apart and see what is going on in there. That being said should I also tear apart the other engine and see if I cant combine them into one good engine? This is my first lawnmower engine tear down beyond carb work and a head gasket. I work on cars and these mowers are just a hobby for me and my dad. Just looking for some tips so we don't waste a ton of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k4IcmIGKU0
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hello newguy...... Take a gander at this http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040 then post again......

Just from looking, I'd say that engine is old enough to not have the syncro balance system...... You don't want to run it much over half a minute with the flywheel cover off, It will heat up quick and score the cylinder.

Hard starting and lack of power could be from low compression, I'd check that first. As far as building one engine from two...... If you have the time and don't care if it blows give it a try.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Post again why?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2013, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Just from looking, I'd say that engine is old enough to not have the syncro balance system.......

Engine model and type numbers posted would verify ^^^^^^^^^...........

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Engine model and type numbers posted would verify ^^^^^^^^^...........
You mean to tell me that all them motors aint be using the sama parts.???
Now you tell me ...
Old 09-17-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah see that mower is worth more in parts than it is whole, the gas tank's $30 used, the seat...
Well that one's torn but as good a condition as that thing is in, I bet in a few hours tearing things apart you could net $200 easy.
John Deere parts sell for a premium, something about that green paint.

How I know these things, restoring broken machines is something I do on the side, I presently have an RX95 sitting outside...
It also doesn't run, I couldn't even get the starter to crank.
Easy problem you say, I replaced the ignition switch and jumped the battery, still it won't go past the fuel solenoid's 'click.'
A matter of how many hours and how much money do I want to spend before I call it good.

What I liked the most thou, is that you found yours for free.
Had you not replaced the battery, you would have little invested other than transport and the labor therein.
Then again I suppose you have other uses for said battery, which would recover that portion.

One thing I have learned, don't go replacing broken with more "not known if it's working" parts.
Bad enough if you replace an engine with a used one, I usually only do that if the used unit is one of mine (so I know it's working)...
But as soon as I find out a mower I'm restoring has a blown engine, I usually opt to sell it out for parts.
Especially home owner models, we're talking an afternoon to replace an engine, that mower there retailed new for $2000...
You might get $400 for it, maybe more but $200-$300 sells it quick, does that cover for parts and labor?
Easy math tells me, faster to part it out.

Last edited by herler; 09-17-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Model: 252707
Type: 0621-03
Code: 87080511

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry I lacked the engine codes at first. Was wondering if that video would lead you to believe bottom end noise, valves that need adjusted, something of that nature.
Herler thanks for your input. I definitely get the labor end of what money you will make once you sell the unit. No ones time is free. But like I say it's more of a hobby for my dad and I since he can't work any longer. And a reason for us to work in the garage lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK...... That engine does have what's left of the counterweight assy., All the racket is the bushings worn out...... You could never buy just the bushings but had to buy the complete assy., This assy. has long since been discontinued from Briggs....... Tie a rope around it and use it for a boat anchor, But...... Drain the oil and fuel first......