Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Marketing

Hey guys got a few questions.

I own a landscaping company at the moment and I am moving farther away from grass cutting and into machine work. I spent most of this summer bush hogging or mulching property lines, small boulder walls, demolition, etc.

Everyone says word of mouth is the greatest marketing. Well that's true if you're a person that knows a lot of people, but for some people that's not us.

I will be putting up a new website, as well as possibly doing postcards. I have my own marketing plan but would like to know what you guys have had success with.

I've read every thread I can find, I'm just looking for more information. I want to start marketing soon for next season
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Word of mouth and networking get me about 90% of my work load. All I do is excavating and construction services. Sounds like you have to go out and introduce yourself to some people. A little trade talk goes a long way with the right people.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh, and keep the rich people happy!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The challenge is finding the right people to present yourself to
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive been making contacts with developers, home builders, etc... Im trying to do the same , move into more tractor and bobcat work. Ive even thought about making a nice postcard geared toward dirtwork etc... And send it to homebuilders, general contractors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Word of mouth is a good way to get new customers, but it is totally unpredictable and unreliable. It is foolish to rely on word of mouth to get you new customers.

I would recommend a web site for sure. It appears to be the new way that people search for a business, as things like the yellow pages and newspapers go out of date.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Sponsor

There's a pretty good thread on some free stuff you can do. Things like craigslist (works for some not for others) Google places, Facebook page are all free links to your website. Some of those tools like facebook help create "virtual word of mouth".

The one thing that's consistent is different methods work better for different people. For every person who thinks Postcards, door hangers, craigslist, cold calling work there's someone else who says it doesn't work for them.

You can create a free listing for your business on our site ServiceVines.com and click List your services for free.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjackson View Post
There's a pretty good thread on some free stuff you can do. Things like craigslist (works for some not for others) Google places, Facebook page are all free links to your website. Some of those tools like facebook help create "virtual word of mouth".

The one thing that's consistent is different methods work better for different people. For every person who thinks Postcards, door hangers, craigslist, cold calling work there's someone else who says it doesn't work for them.

You can create a free listing for your business on our site ServiceVines.com and click List your services for free.
If only it was available to us Canadians.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Krazy,

I'm thinking a post card similar to the flyer Andrew made would be perfect. Obviously I would pick and choose where they're sent to. Kind of pointless to send them to suburbs, in my opinion.

Website will be made shortly

And pt I'm signed up, just haven't got any leads
Posted via Mobile Device