Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Size of mower in relation to yard size

I am curious as to what size lots you guys are mowing with different size mowers.....mostly walk behind mowers. I was wondering what a maximum yard size would be considered for say a 36" walk behind and a 48" walk behind and still do it efficiently. Is it feasible to think I can efficiently mow a 1 acre lot with a 48" walk behind and a sulky if I am good at operating it?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=392302

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn137 View Post
I am curious as to what size lots you guys are mowing with different size mowers.....mostly walk behind mowers. I was wondering what a maximum yard size would be considered for say a 36" walk behind and a 48" walk behind and still do it efficiently. Is it feasible to think I can efficiently mow a 1 acre lot with a 48" walk behind and a sulky if I am good at operating it?
I use 61'' on every thing I have one I cut it takes 3 pass to cut.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn137 View Post
I use my 61" mower on anything it will fit on. I have one place that takes 25 minutes with the 61 and roughly 35 with the 36. It's a $60 per cut account. Trim edge mow and blow, plus keeping the flowerbeds weed free.

I don't see why you couldn't cut a acre property with a 48 in a reasonable time and still make money.Chances are, you're only be cutting 1/3-1/2 acre total after all the buildings, flowerbeds, footprints and driveway. Of course banks and hills can make for a challenging take to cut.