Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-28-2012, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
my experiences in this industry is that many, if not a majority of employees want to be their own boss eventually--
not to say that after experiencing the full monte of ownership, many will decide it is far better to seek the security and simpler life of being an employee-
Those are the guys I try to hire. Because I know they will be trying to learn as much about the business as possible while working for me, and will be passionate in their job. If they want to leave one day and try to compete against me, thats fine. I am confident in my plan and processes enough that I know I will be more successful than them.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So how many crews do you run and what type of software do you use?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
So how many crews do you run and what type of software do you use?
Posted via Mobile Device
Several crews now. Not sure what you mean by software - we don't use anything out of the ordinary for general business functions.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegantlawns View Post
what's your guys thoughts as far as there being a point were your to big yet to small at the same time. I hear far to often about "the tipping point" of this industry. so what would you guys rather due stay small or take that leap?
Posted via Mobile Device
It really depends on one's purpose for entering the industry. If a guy only wanted to stay solo and be self-employed, good.

But, if a guy wants to build a business, then good for him. To each their own.

There is a difference between "owning a job" and "owning a business."

Each perspective has a difference "tipping point."
Old 11-28-2012, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Everyone is in this business for their own reasons, many are going to school, alot do it part time, in my case I have other interests and lawncare helps with that.

I can assure you if you grow a "large" business the business will "OWN" you and you will be its slave.
A agree with you that everyone has their own reasons to be in the business.

However I wouldn't say that every owner of a "large" business "owns" them. It really depends on how well you structure it. For some people they have structured the business so well that they could literally step away from it for a year plus, nothing involved, and it would be in the same position or better than they left it.

But, I think you made a good point. There are probably many, many large business owners whose business "owns" them.

The problem is getting to the point where it doesn't own you...
Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

EXACTLY!!! Great thread!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDLLC View Post
Several crews now. Not sure what you mean by software - we don't use anything out of the ordinary for general business functions.
No scheculing or accounting ssoftware?
See threads about Wal-Mart and papajohns, it has to do with economics
Old 11-29-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDLLC View Post
Spot on Brad. This is the approach I have in my business. My biggest problem is finding people to adhere to the processes. I always have plans for retention issues so it's not a major cash drain per say, but it is a nuisance when I could be spending time doing other things.

I wish that one of these mower companies would put together some sort of program that helped funnel decent landscaper labor towards LSC's (maybe a certification course or something). I don't care if you work for me for three years and try to start on your own - you do so at your own peril, but at least I've got a guy that's passionate about the job for the time being.

The company that does that would go a long way in gaining my business.
I'm pretty sure planet has just such certifications! I plan to put my crew leader through to see if it's really what it says it is.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I'm pretty sure planet has just such certifications! I plan to put my crew leader through to see if it's really what it says it is.
Just the bare minimum, I love landscapesafety.com. they allow us to set up a new hire in the office and take 4-5 hours on videos that piggyback each other. once they pass, we spend a couple days in the field on an easy crew to train on identifying what they are looking to accomplish. Then from there, everyone has a 3rd party for safe operations of machines. We build our procedures off safety. With safety in mind, we move to efficiency. Most companies don't know what ear, eye, ankle and foot protection is. I love driving by guys weed wacking in shorts sneakers and no glasses. Makes me smile knowing this is how the customer sees them. I have had people fire us then re hire us because the new people were "scumbags". nothing to do with the work. just our marketing plan at work.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLewisLawnCare View Post
Just the bare minimum, I love landscapesafety.com. they allow us to set up a new hire in the office and take 4-5 hours on videos that piggyback each other. once they pass, we spend a couple days in the field on an easy crew to train on identifying what they are looking to accomplish. Then from there, everyone has a 3rd party for safe operations of machines. We build our procedures off safety. With safety in mind, we move to efficiency. Most companies don't know what ear, eye, ankle and foot protection is. I love driving by guys weed wacking in shorts sneakers and no glasses. Makes me smile knowing this is how the customer sees them. I have had people fire us then re hire us because the new people were "scumbags". nothing to do with the work. just our marketing plan at work.
What's wrong with wearing shorts while trimming?