Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Best way to use a dual tank sprayer?

I've built a skid sprayer within the last month or so and am wondering what is the best way to make use of the dual tank setup. I used 2 pieces of C-channel for the bottom and angle iron for the hose reel stand. I welded everything together and mounted the reel. Still waiting on the 50 gallon tanks and band straps to ship from Plasticmart. The reel is a 12 volt Hanney with 1/2 hose that I bought used off of Craigslist. The metal for the skid came from a fab shop that my gf works at. I've posted several times trying to decide which pump/engine to go with. I finally decided on a 2.5hp Predator from Harbor Freight ($100) and a 4-roller Hypro pump coupled direct with a solid 1 piece coupler. This will be my pre and post emergent setup.
What I plan to do with the other 50 gallon tank that will be on the skid is add a 5.5hp Carroll Stream engine ($150) and a Maruyama piston pump ($500) with a seperate hose reel. This will be my insecticide setup. I use granular for fertilizer applications. Any input? I was just curious what you guys use in your dual tank setups?
Attached Images

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Oklahoma Licensed Pesticide Applicator (3a)
2012 Hustler X-One 60", 26hp, Flex Forks, Mulch Kit
Echo Handhelds

Old 12-01-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And in case anyone is curious where the 12 volt motor is... I have it off right now. I have it apart putting new wires and ring terminals on it. I also have the chain off, as I am replacing it.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds

Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sweet. Nice job. Are you going to have both sprayers on a skid, or are you going to separate them so you can carry either one or both in the bed?
The Hypro pump will probably be suited for about 1.5 gal per minute--or about 1 gal per 1000 sqft. Suited for herbicides.
I have never done much liquid insecticide--so not sure about the second setup. However, if you plan to spray trees--anything over 20 feet will probably need a bigger pump and motor. However...a 50 gal tank will run out very quick. At 4 gallons per minute---you have 12 minutes. An extra tank would be helpful, if you actually need 4 gals per minute for insecticide.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was planning on putting the second 50 gallon tank on this same skid next to the pre and post tank. I got the measurements from Plasticmart's website (technical drawings) prior to building this skid frame last weekend. I allowed just enough room for 2 tanks with the band straps. The 2.5hp Predator and roller pump will mount directly under the hose reel. I'm still unsure on what to do with the 2nd tank. I may end up plumbing it into the same hose reel with a ball valve shut off. I've done alot of pre and post apps, but I'm still learning about insectice application and trees. Most of my experience is on turf with prodiamine, triplet, a lesco chemlawn gun with 2 gpm tip hooked to a spacesaver D403.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds

Old 12-01-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the compliment by the way. You should've seen that hose reel when I first bought it. It was a faded out maroon color. I bought it and the 300ft of 1/2 hose on craigslist for $300 cash. The guy had just got a DUI and was selling off all of his equipment. He had a D30 on the skid the reel came off of but the regulator/relief was busted and he told me some long story about how he had forgot to open the bypass valve or something and it more less exploded. I decided to pass on buying the pump, but the hose reel works great and for $300 it was a good deal.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds

Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Hypro roller pump may be a bit small for your purpose. With most pump sales information...they are optimistic. You can usually get high volume or high pressure, but not both at once. I am not sure a roller pump is suited for wettable powders.

Remember that to use a second tank--you need a valve on the suction side--and another valve on the feed back line from the pressure regulator valve, (which is commonly also used for agitation). You don't want the two tanks to mix their ingredients. You definitely do not want any chance of applying a herbicide contaminated mix to trees...high risk.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have built a few multi tank systems. They give you options and that is what you must have.

Here is a post I stated a long time ago when we built a three tank system. It is a studly tank!!!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=218970&page=4
Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
The Hypro roller pump may be a bit small for your purpose. With most pump sales information...they are optimistic. You can usually get high volume or high pressure, but not both at once. I am not sure a roller pump is suited for wettable powders.

Remember that to use a second tank--you need a valve on the suction side--and another valve on the feed back line from the pressure regulator valve, (which is commonly also used for agitation). You don't want the two tanks to mix their ingredients. You definitely do not want any chance of applying a herbicide contaminated mix to trees...high risk.
I'm hoping the 4-roller pump will get me by until I see how next year is going to turn out. After the drought in my area I'm a little skeptical on dropping $1000 for a Honda/D30. I'm thinking about chopping my 300ft of 1/2 hose down to 150ft also. I prefer 2 gallons of mix per 1000 sq ft when applying my pre and post. Once I get everything mounted and plumbed I'll go out and calibrate with the 300ft and see how it performs. I just mark off 1000 sq ft of concrete, spray it with water while someone times me with a stop watch, then I take a 5 gallon bucket marked in 1 gallon increments and hold my gun in it for the same amount of time it took me to spray the 1000 sq ft. If I'm under 2 gallons or over 2 gallons I adjust my pressure accordingly. That's the way I do it. If I have to switch my application rate to 1 gallon per 1000 sq ft that's no biggie. I've just always preferred 2. I'm looking to contruct a walking boom this Winter also. Any suggestions or advice on that is welcome.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds

Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't shorten your hose. A lot of lawns need the extra length.
If that D-30 pump looks repairable to you--(with a new pressure relief valve) make him an offer. They are expensive new. Too much pump is easier to deal with than too little. Your calibration method should work fine. Except that on grass you will find yourself walking a little bit slower than walking on concrete.