Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is where synthetics shine. The superior lubricity could help prevent collateral damage like a scored cylinder from damaged rings and lands during the overheating. Synthetics also give you some leeway with temperatures as they dissipate heat faster and allow an engine to run cooler.

Good Luck.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, Darryl G for that advice. Of coarse hindsight is 20/20 and looking back if I knew the truck couldn't make it 500 yards to gas station I wouldn't have tried. The second attempt was after the radiator was filled and was running cool and the it shut down right after it started running rough and temp gauge read slightly over normal.

BTW synthetic oil was being used.

ok I removed the intake manifold, along with all the other stuff in its way and found that there was no oil leaking or puddles underneath it either. There was also no oil leaking anywhere around the engine. I replaced the intake manifold gaskets and reinstalled everything, checked my oil on the dipstick and the level was good and clean, rinsed out the radiator and reservoir. Started it up and it was running real rough and pouring white smoke out the tail pipe along with water.
I shut it off and checked for oil leaking out and found nothing, but when I checked the dipstick it was super milky this time. I also noticed that milky oil was flowing up and out the air box.
So my question is can a head gasket blow out and still not show signs of failure or leakage around the edges of the heads?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're welcome. Actually sorry, didn't mean to be a jerk. Your symptoms/observations sound like a blown head gasket...white smoke, rough running, milky oil, coolant loss. Yes, it can blow with no visible signs.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Absolutely. It all depends were the head or seal leaks. You could have oil in the combustion chamber, water in the chamber, both in the chamber, non in the chamber. The same could happen out the exterior edge. You could have water leaking into your oil which sounds like your problem. FYI coolant is extremely aggressive on motor bearings so if your oil is milky from coolant I suggest you not keep driving. I would start researching your motor and see if there are known flaws in the head system. Some vehicles are prone to issues like broken head bolts or cracked heads. Throwing a new gasket on will not solve anything if the head is warped or cracked. Stripping the heads off an engine is a fairly involved process. Not difficult, but a lot involved and while you are in there it would be foolish to not fix, test, replace, or at least look at anything possibly worn or maintenance related. Since it sounds like your problem may enter the combustion chamber than I would do a compression test for starters after you investigate the oil problem. 2 gallons of coolant does not disappear. Is it in the block or did it burn off. If it burned off you would likely have been leaving a fog cloud everywhere you went unless you failed to check your fluids in a very long time.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can look in your radiator too. Oil may have migrated into the cooling system. I missed it if that was mentioned. Bubbles might be seen in the coolant when the engine is running, or an exhaust smell may be detected at the coolant fill neck when opened. There are testers that replace the radiator cap I believe, that sniff for exhaust gasses in the coolant. Using this test would be like mustard after the meal though. You obviously have one system penetrated the other in some way.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ouch...That sucks!!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Shovelracer is on the right track.

Definitely do a compression test. Compression test will tell you a lot. Those cap systems work well too I believe there called "combustion leak tester". Its the easiest way to test for a bad head gasket
Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I did a compression check and got 160 out of #2 and only 60 out of #1 so I took everything back off and removed the heads.
The gaskets where intact but both sides were delaminated in parts.
BUT, pistons #3 & 5 had chunks broken off the edges about 1" long by .25" wide.
So needless to say the block must come out and I am in the process of looking for another work truck.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy31 View Post
I did a compression check and got 160 out of #2 and only 60 out of #1 so I took everything back off and removed the heads.
The gaskets where intact but both sides were delaminated in parts.
BUT, pistons #3 & 5 had chunks broken off the edges about 1" long by .25" wide.
So needless to say the block must come out and I am in the process of looking for another work truck.
On a good note, Johnny Football is the likely winner of the Heisman.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That sucks man, I know you don't want to dump a bunch of money into a new block and engine replacement, but you can find hemi engines with under 50k miles for less than 2k around me. A lot cheaper than another work truck. I guess for the time being u will need a new truck but I seems stupid to not fix it when it is fixable!
Posted via Mobile Device