Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Not offering other services hurt business?

So I will be starting up next year... Planning planning planning now. I have experience in both owning abusiness, managing a business, and working in landscaping.
My thing is I only know the basics mow edge blow mulch, don't really know much about hard scraping and different plants an what not. Will not offering hard scraping an not knowing a lot of info on planting hurt me big? Of course I want to learn an now there's big $ in this but obviously it will take some time to master. Also anyone recommend good books on these subjects ?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it doesn't hurt me any. you can always learn as you go and start doing more things if you want but you don't have to. the large companies around here do all the hardscaping and irrigation and such. i'm fine with that. they can have that stuff. i'll stick to mowing. i've never had any of my customers ask about hardscaping or irrigation so it's not something that most people do that often.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
it doesn't hurt me any. you can always learn as you go and start doing more things if you want but you don't have to. the large companies around here do all the hardscaping and irrigation and such. i'm fine with that. they can have that stuff. i'll stick to mowing. i've never had any of my customers ask about hardscaping or irrigation so it's not something that most people do that often.
So you only offer mowing ? You don't do any planting jobs ?
The reason I'm concerned is I'm moving to an upper class neighbor an there are no " do it yourselfers" they are mostly business people who pay for everything
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Theres money in everything. Thats why other people have jobs. Why not offer accounting and investment? Because you're good at mow blow go. Thats not to say don't grow, but grow responsibly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

not at all. i would do it if they supplied the plants themselves or told me what to get. noone has ever wanted it done though. i've only done a few mulch jobs and they were small. i've trimmed a few shrubs. those types of things i don't enjoy doing anyways to be honest. if i were going to do them i would do it in the fall after mowing season is over anyways. that way i would have the time to do it and it wouldn't be so hot and interfere with my mowing schedule. i may do it in early spring before mowing too. noone has ever asked about it though.

around here most people do that part of it themselves or they don't do it at all. those kind of jobs are not steady anyways. you do it once and that's it. it's not like everyone gets their landscaping totally redone every year. around here that's usually done once when the house is built and never again. i'm sure that is done by someone that is in with the construction companies and has the hookup. the owners of the houses just plant a new plant here or there themselves. they don't go all out and hire some company to come in and do a $250-$500 job in their flower beds lol.

i've even had people tell me if they buy some bags of mulch will i put it out for them. i say yeah sure i'll do it. they end up never buying the mulch. lol people here are just cheap when it comes to that type of thing. they will pay for mowing though because i guess they don't like to do it and it's something that has to be done. they are ok with sorry looking flower beds but noone wants grass 6ft tall in their yard lol.

Last edited by weeze; 12-23-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe that the broader that you are in the services you offer, the better and more professional you are going to become to your customer. If you offer only mowing services you are at risk to another company who provides the other services you don't. For example, if you don't offer mulching and your client calls another company (like mine) in to do the service. I would naturally (not because I'm trying to steal your customer, but it's just what a good company does) ask them who does their mowing and then market to them.

I'm not saying to try and expand too quick. That's a killer too; but try and learn and grow. I would suggest that you go to a local community college and learn about plants and shrubs. My profit margin on mowing is @ 20%. My profit margin on projects is 40%. Last year my mowing revenue was @ 300k and the project revenue was @ 200k. Why wouldn't you want that business with a great margin?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it varies based upon where you live i think. people here are loyal. they will stick with a lawn person because that's who's been doing it for them. they wouldn't swap to another unless the company was just doing a horrible job or something. i have next door neighbors that wouldn't use me for their lawncare because they've had another company doing it for so long. they just think that would be doing them wrong. i totally agree with them. this company doesn't do that great of a job either. i could give them a better job at a cheaper price. that's just how it is around here. people here respect people and don't go around stabbing them in the back. i know it's not like that everywhere in the world.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree thanks for the advice I will def look an see what classes are around .. Know of any good books too?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman2420 View Post
I believe that the broader that you are in the services you offer, the better and more professional you are going to become to your customer. If you offer only mowing services you are at risk to another company who provides the other services you don't. For example, if you don't offer mulching and your client calls another company (like mine) in to do the service. I would naturally (not because I'm trying to steal your customer, but it's just what a good company does) ask them who does their mowing and then market to them.

I'm not saying to try and expand too quick. That's a killer too; but try and learn and grow. I would suggest that you go to a local community college and learn about plants and shrubs. My profit margin on mowing is @ 20%. My profit margin on projects is 40%. Last year my mowing revenue was @ 300k and the project revenue was @ 200k. Why wouldn't you want that business with a great margin?
I'm like you and have found more money in the add on services. As for the OP do a full line of landscape care and mowing. As you grow and learn add more services to your business. If you don't do something have a trusted business that you can refer to handle the project.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
not at all. i would do it if they supplied the plants themselves or told me what to get. noone has ever wanted it done though. i've only done a few mulch jobs and they were small. i've trimmed a few shrubs. those types of things i don't enjoy doing anyways to be honest. if i were going to do them i would do it in the fall after mowing season is over anyways. that way i would have the time to do it and it wouldn't be so hot and interfere with my mowing schedule. i may do it in early spring before mowing too. noone has ever asked about it though.

around here most people do that part of it themselves or they don't do it at all. those kind of jobs are not steady anyways. you do it once and that's it. it's not like everyone gets their landscaping totally redone every year. around here that's usually done once when the house is built and never again. i'm sure that is done by someone that is in with the construction companies and has the hookup. the owners of the houses just plant a new plant here or there themselves. they don't go all out and hire some company to come in and do a $250-$500 job in their flower beds lol.

i've even had people tell me if they buy some bags of mulch will i put it out for them. i say yeah sure i'll do it. they end up never buying the mulch. lol people here are just cheap when it comes to that type of thing. they will pay for mowing though because i guess they don't like to do it and it's something that has to be done. they are ok with sorry looking flower beds but noone wants grass 6ft tall in their yard lol.
Jason we are miles apart but it's the same way here in southern Indiana.. People have no problem paying for wkly mows but when it comes time for the mulch/rock or hedge trimming they just do it themselves. I mow full time Tuesday-Friday leaving Monday open for such jobs but find myself usually just having a 3 day weekend. Me being by myself i really don't have time anyways so i guess it works out. Probably gonna take more lawns next season to fill in Mondays.. That's what i really enjoy anyways Mow trim blow and go...