Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A Disturbing Trend in the Green Industry

I've always considered that "Lawnsite", was a professional site in which professionals hang out and talk about excellence in the profession...

It would be the kind of site that the public at large could also dip into and get some insight as to what would be good or bad, to have happen in the lawn and gardens...

The trend that we see happening,,, instead of excellence in the industry, we are seeing the dis-honesty that can make you the most money in the industry...

Does anyone else have a problem with this trend or is it the way America does business now???
Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure where your coming from. I haven't seen any dishonesty in my area. Most guys are doing a good job at a fair price.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm refering to Lawnsite conversations amongst the so-called professionals... not what is happening in your area...

There are examples...

Is it dis-honest to dump fert on frozen turf, just so you can charge for it??? How about mowing dormant grass in the drought??? How about fertilizing, during a drought???

Are these the actions of a 'professional' in the green industry???
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I'm refering to Lawnsite conversations amongst the so-called professionals... not what is happening in your area...

There are examples...

Is it dis-honest to dump fert on frozen turf, just so you can charge for it??? How about mowing dormant grass in the drought??? How about fertilizing, during a drought???

Are these the actions of a 'professional' in the green industry???

NOT DIS-honest, just people that aint got a clue.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There were, are, and all ways will be people that don't do the right thing. We are more informed now than years ago. ie-LawnSite
Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This has been going on forever here at Lawnsite. From people illegally placing flyers on mailboxes to a certain sponsor encouraging potential client lawn services to round up the estimates to make more money, there are those of us that have been fighting it the whole way.

Probably the thing that is abused most often would have to be employee hours and 1099ing employees.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Its nothing new and its in every profession. Some people really dont know better and some are really scum bags. My business was built on honesty and professionalism. It has paid off greatly over the years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2012, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As stated their will always be those people who do it to make the extra money, as well their are those people who have contracts signed and they need to do that work so that they can comfortably put food on the table for their kids.

Is it illegal to put flyers on the side of a mailbox?(underneath the flag)
I was told that it was fine, it is only illegal to open someone else's mailbox.

I do feel that their are way to many arguments over different opinions when trying to answer someone else's questions.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 11-29-2012, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Its nothing new and its in every profession. Some people really dont know better and some are really scum bags. My business was built on honesty and professionalism. It has paid off greatly over the years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed.

I keep running across landscape installs from the so-called "higher end" companies in the area, and they either look like an 8th grader designed it or I've fixed certain aspects of the install due to poor placement or lack of material.

Funny thing is I used to defend these so-called higher end companies and their pricing until I started fixing the flaws.

We loose bids all the time being the highest bid. I don't care though as I tell those potential clients that we don't skimp on any part of the installation and the nickle and dime aspect of those details is what drives the price up. Anyone severely lower than me is usually cutting corners and not giving those potential clients a good valued end product.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
Is it illegal to put flyers on the side of a mailbox?(underneath the flag)
I was told that it was fine, it is only illegal to open someone else's mailbox.
No where on the box, the post or the flag.

""No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. "

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usp...eType:embedded