Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-30-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I don't know how your flyers even became an issue in the purpose of the original post , let alone the OBVIOUS 3 examples...
I don't put flyers on mailboxes--

anyways, good to see a thread trying to hold guys more accountable-
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I don't know how your flyers even became an issue in the purpose of the original post , let alone the OBVIOUS 3 examples...
It was Richard Martin's original statement that I commented on, it may not be nearly important as putting down herbicide's during a drought or not putting down contracted fertilizer. It is a fairly large thing because almost every start up guy does his advertising this way.

I don't need everyone saying "I didn't do that" because there is no point to the argument.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
JS46 22" walk-behind (wouldn't recommend)
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Husqvarna 130BT blower
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I am a firm believer that this stuff has a way of sorting itself out. Businesses that operate with honesty and integrity are more successful in the long run in my opinion, and businesses that engage in dishonest practices like charging for application not made eventually pay the price.

I always try to do the right thing, and I feel like it has paid off for me. I have taken over accounts where the clients fired the previous company because they suspected dishonest practices.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I'm refering to Lawnsite conversations amongst the so-called professionals... not what is happening in your area...

There are examples...

Is it dis-honest to dump fert on frozen turf, just so you can charge for it??? How about mowing dormant grass in the drought??? How about fertilizing, during a drought???

Are these the actions of a 'professional' in the green industry???
This kind of crap has been going on around here for decades. Without a doubt a lot of people out there today learned these kinds of bad habits from managers they once worked for.
Back in the early 70's, lawn care companies starting with Chemlawn began to set daily / weekly individualized employee production quotas. Things went fairly smoothly during those early years. Then competition really began to heat up, driving down prices, and sometimes with that, quality of service. Soon new emerging lawn care companies began hiring half-rate managers that typically would say or do virtually anything to get the sale. This poor middle-management eventually led to increasingly poorer training and supervison of lawn care technicians. It was around this point - approximately early to mid 90's - that customer service in the lawn care industry hit absolute rock bottom. It has yet to see a spark of genuine recovery.

I've come to learn not to dispariage folks who mow unirrigated drought-striken turf or fertilize frozen ground. There are legitimate reasons why this sometimes happens. They're not sophisticated enough to understand that they need to expand their skill set into other areas (such as irrigation, stonework, pavers, lighting, ponds, younameit...)
Or...they have a STUPID manager!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

In my area I wouldn't really call it dishonesty. We have a lot of guys under cutting price, because they don't have a clue on how to price. They don't have certain licenses they need to do the work they are doing. On second thought.....they probably do know that they have no clue, but act as if they do. Business ethics is an issue that can and will be argued for years to come.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is interesting to hear how people think about the way the business is going in their neighborhoods...
I agree that most novices are clueless and they onlyimitate the big boys to schedule their apps, maintenance and mowings in a monkey see monkey do manner... My hope there is that eventually they learn what is really happening in the life of the plants under their care...
I do not agree that there is ever a legitimate reason to mow dustbowls or fertilize frozen turf... Not only will I disparage their business practices to their clients I even call them reckless foolish and may need to be presented to the BBB... these people are a joke and make the industry look exactly as people suspectted all along,,, chronic unemployables who are mentally challenged...
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I agree, that contracting for 6 applications , then only spraying twice is a way of ripping people off...
I do not know if there is a valid reason in TN to contract for 6 apps and that is not within my field,,, but I can say that in WI, the very idea of contracting 4 or more fert apps IS a rip-off, and a polluter...
It is just as bad, and just as obvious as the charge of a new muffler bearing added to the invoice from your mechanic...

When I watched the "Pros" walking around spraying burnt up lawns, I figured the only thing they should have in those hoses was distilled water, but in fact it was a fungicide because the lawn didn't look healthy during the drought...
Check this out---- some of the lawn sprayers here apply up to 9 treatments per year. These cats are killing lawns by the dozens! It is a shame at the money they rake in for killing these peoples lawns by spraying and fertilizing lawns in July and August when there has been no rain for weeks and the temp is 100 degrees.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i don't pay attention to what everyone else is doing. i just do my own thing. it works for me.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
As stated their will always be those people who do it to make the extra money, as well their are those people who have contracts signed and they need to do that work so that they can comfortably put food on the table for their kids.

Is it illegal to put flyers on the side of a mailbox?(underneath the flag)
I was told that it was fine, it is only illegal to open someone else's mailbox.

I do feel that their are way to many arguments over different opinions when trying to answer someone else's questions.

-Michael
It's only illegal to put your flyer or business card inside a mailbox, not on the outside. If it were illegal to put on the outside, all kinds of people would be fined or locked up-we see it all the time.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

As far as the business practices, we had one instance where another company handled fert and we handled the mowing. The property had no irrigation, right before the worst part of the drought for us the company lays down an app of fert!!? Good thing the property was a contract, if it was pay per mow we would have lost over 3k waiting for the grass to recover. On the other side if it was pay per mow what are we supposed to do with the cooked turf?
We have pay per mow accounts that if the grass is brown, and we leave it they will call the next day wondering why we weren't there to make tracks. Every situation is different, because one LCO mows in a drought because of inexperience doesn't mean we all fall into that catagory. Sometimes customers/situations dictate our actions, just my take on it.