Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats the best of these *used* mowers?

Im getting ready for my first season of buisness and i need a walk beind mower, and since i dont have 5-10k laying around to spend on a new one, and im only 18, i need a used one for under 1k.
anyways, here are my options are
-john deere k series (48in with velke)- $900 obo
-toro pro line (48in with velke)-$1k obo
-lesco (48in, NO velke)-$500
-lesco (48in with velke- $900
i havent called about any yet. what is the best mower i have on the list?
oh, and i have $500, and my dad said he will put $200 with however much i have.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone????????
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They are all pretty good lesco is made by deere so those three are probably pretty similar. Go with a hydro one if one of them is belt drive i would say no to that one. Otherwise i would go look at all of them make low offer knowing you have others to fall back on.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
They are all pretty good lesco is made by deere so those three are probably pretty similar. Go with a hydro one if one of them is belt drive i would say no to that one. Otherwise i would go look at all of them make low offer knowing you have others to fall back on.
ok, the deere is the only one thats hydro.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would more then likely go with that one then assuming it is in good shape.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also look at date ad was posted. I'm assuming these are on Craigslist. The longer the ad has been up the lower my offer. Say the Deere $900 OBO was posted abt a month ago...offer $450, then they'll accept or counter with prob $700-$800, then you counter offer with like $550-$600 & so on.

Hydro drive are nice but if you have a issue they cost more to repair. Belt drive are simpler & easy to do repairs yourself. So keep that in mind when deciding on hydro vs belt drive. What ever you go with I'd advise to keep an eye on Craigslist for same mower, not running, for parts. The parts for my mower are not in stock at dealer & have to be ordered. I have Toro Proline (belt drive) & I bought a non running, rusted deck Toro Proline for $100. My electric PTO clutch (for blades) went out. New clutch is abt $300, I had one on parts mower. I've used several other parts probably saving me another $200 & I sold the transmission for $150 (abt $300 new). $500 I saved on parts plus $150 from trans is $650 minus my $100 investment = $550 still in my pocket so to speak.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

It's really got to be based on hours more than price. A mower with high hours but lower price is not as good of a deal as a decent priced mower with lower hours. Also as dstifel said go with hydro if possible, especially if there was a sulky on the belt drive bc sulkys are hard on belt driven mowers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFLS22 View Post
It's really got to be based on hours more than price. A mower with high hours but lower price is not as good of a deal as a decent priced mower with lower hours. Also as dstifel said go with hydro if possible, especially if there was a sulky on the belt drive bc sulkys are hard on belt driven mowers
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll agree with no sulky on belt drive...the guy I sold transmission to used sulky & he stripped splines off shaft on right side of tranny.

When you can only spend under $1k, a $2k deal on a low hour mower isn't gonna do any good when you can't afford it. OP is 18 yrs old & only has $500 & his dad is giving him $200. If OP or his dad are mechanicaly inclined, there is nothing wrong with old, high hour belt drive walkbehind.

I have to disagree on Hydro for a young man starting out with little money. Hydros are nice & more efficient but...My belt drive Toro Prolines (36" & 44") have no hour meters, but I'd bet they're up there in hours & I had no issues with engines in 3 seasons. The worst that can happen with belt drive is engine issues. If my engine seized up tomorrow I could pick engine up off craigslist for $200-$300. The engine may not be the right HP or brand I want but will do til I find a deal on the right one. There aren't people sellin used hydros on craiglist daily if hydro goes out on a mower.

I'm going fulltime next season & will probably upgrade to hydro walkbehind or ZTR when the time is right, but for past 3 seasons belt drive were perfect for my situation being part time with 15-20 accts per season. I used Toro Proline 36" first 2 seasons & Toro Proline 44" this season. Both work fine & 36" is my backup & I paid $1350 ($650 & $700) total for them & $1450 if you count the 44" parts mower I paid $100 for. Neither one has been to a mower shop for repairs. I've only had minor things happen that I have taken care of myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The john deere is not a hydro, unless I am thinking of a different mower, the k series ones have the yellow decks and green main bodies. If you look underneath there is a transmission from a garden tractor, not hydro. There just arent any belts going to the wheels

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 12-01-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you have a mower smaller than a 48" that you can use to get into the yards with gates? If not I would recommend looking for a 36" mower as that mower with fit through just about every gate. I'm not sure what size of yards are in your area but if your lots are under 10,000sf there is really no use for a sulky IMO. Yes they can be nice, but we find them getting in the way on those smaller lots when dodging all of the obstacles I started when I was 13 with a 36" exmark belt drive. That mower never let me down. Good luck in your search!