Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-28-2003, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Comparing Trucks

I am looking for another truck this year.

I am looking at either a Ford F-250/F-350 diesel 4x4 extra cab or crew cab, or a Dodge 2500/3500 4x4 extra cab. Not sure which one to go with and needed your thoughts.

Auto or Stick? What about dually's?
Which truck is better overall and why?

It will be my lawn maintenance truck. Pulling the enclosed trailer and all.

Thanks for all the professional opinions and ideas, just dont try to help me spend all my money, ok?
Old 01-28-2003, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Any manual will save you gas, plus if you are pulling heavy weight you can pull it better by sticking in high gear. Dually's are very nice and powerful, as they will pass everything but the gas station. Also, the Ford's V8 is very powerful and hasn't caused me any problems with towing my enclosed trailer. Just my opinion though.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Crazygator- I just went through the same truck buying process. I ended up with an 03 Silverado 2500HD auto, 6.0L ext cab, 8ft bed. I honestly would have purchased the F250 or F350 if they could have come anywhere near the Chevies price but since my father in law gave me $4000 in GM dollars and GM had a $3000 cash rebate it was really a no brainer for me. I had a 98 Ram 1500 and it was ok but I felt that it had too many little things go wrong with it. Also I am still not convinced that the Dodge transmissions are tough enough. I do remember about a year ago on here that a Dodge mechanic said to get a manual and that they are tough as nails. I personally think Ford and Chevy are very close in terms of durability, I know that the Chevies are a smoother ride and in terms of gas engines the Chevy is slightly more powerful than the Ford in HP and torque ratings. I think the Dodge's are a bit lower in terms of durability and therefore I would not consider one unless you could get a significant break on the price, which will never happen. Go to Edmunds.com to find the invoice price with the equipment you want and then take it in to the dealer and say you want it for that price. Also go to Ford.com and see what financing incentives or cash back is available in your region. You should also get all of that money. Don't worry the dealer is still making plenty of $$$$. Good Luck and don't stay up all night comparing trucks on the web like I did!
Old 01-29-2003, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ford F-250. I bought mine a month ago with the diesel. It is awesome. I put a chip in it and I am pulling 340hp and 625lb of torque and my mileage is better.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I gotta f350,4dr,duelly.I love all the room,however i don't want another duelly to drive everyday.they are a pain to park,I got 1inch through the bank teller,and 1 wheel is always off the road.rotating tires is awful and expensive.But it sure looks cool all lighted-up.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:32 PM

Ford and Ford alone. But that is my opinion.

Try to find a dealer with a 7.3L PSD on the lot with the new 6.0L PSD there as well. You should be able to find a heck of a price on the 7.3L. I drove the new 6.0L and they are great. But I am not going to be a test dummy for a new engine and trans.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Drive them all and see which you like best. I personnaly prefer my Dodge/Cummins. If you're getting diesel, I don't think there's a better diesel engine out there. With 140,000+ miles, I get 19 mpg combined average out of it. And there's a lot that get even higher mileage.
If diesel isn't a factor, I'd have a much harder time deciding. I think the Ford would probably be my second choice, as they do make a good truck. And an awful lot of people have had good luck with GMs.
The automatic transmissions are much eaiser on you, and can be made to last as long, or even longer than manual transmissions, if you're willing to drop an additional $2000 - $3500 into them.
They all make good trucks, with a few lemons scattered throughout. Bottom line, what ever you like at a price you can afford. Good luck choosing!

Randy
Old 02-04-2003, 04:14 PM

Randy here is food for thought on the Cummins/PSD arguement.

The guys I am working for just blew a head gasket in a 2001 Cummins at about 120K. My PSD has almost 145K on it. VERY VERY few problems. Here is what is funny they give me crap about my Ford and all I got to do to shut em up is bring up the head gasket and they shut right up.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

new pickup

Pulling an enclosed trailer with mowing equipment wouldn't justify a dually. As said already they are a pain. Its especially painful when it comes time to put tires on them. If you don't NEED a diesel I wouldn't spend the money on one. No matter who's you buy, it'll be a $4500 add for the motor. The resale is better but its still an investment. I have owned nothing but diesels, but I pull more than an enclosed trailer. Not to pick a fight but I would steer clear of the 6.0 PS for a while, if your bored check their web site out (I can't remember the address). Its not pretty. Brickman, my offer is still open. If it would be more fair I'll tie a small building to my bumper.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:14 AM

Ksss and MDB quit drooling. Cuz it won't happen.

I had a chance today to whup some chebie bootie and did so. He pulled off the road to wipe his eyes. When his truck started to breath black smoke it choked out and faded FAST after that.

And I rolled on down the road LMAO.