Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-05-2003, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

FORD get the PSD, I pull a 20' enclosed and get 16mpg on the road. My helpers v10 gets about 6.

Phil. 4:6-7
Old 02-06-2003, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Brickman,
I don't take away from the thread and banter back and forth so this will be my last post on the subject. I will be in Billings, MT. from 02-14-03 to 02-17-03. If your interested we'll run em for time empty or I may have a 31' fifth wheel trailer in town we can load it up and run it that way. Makes no difference to me. Let me know if your interested and I'll get you my cell number. After the cryin stops, we'll go and trade your PSD in for something a little more competive. As the saying goes Brickman, "nothin but air and opportunity".

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:23 AM

I aint trading my PSD in for any thing. Unless it be another PSD.

And sorry I can't make it. Job won't let me.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm definitely partial to Cummins. For a tranny, I hear with Dodge that their sticks are better than auto. The sound cool too. But I also here vice versa with Fixed Or Repaired Daily.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nobody likes the chevy 2500hd with the duramax?
Old 02-27-2003, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you dont really hear too much about them on the site so I guess not. When I drove one I just didn't feel like I was in a truck. It made me feel like I was driving a bigger version of a 1/2 ton. But, maybe thats just me.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wally,

I'd go with the 250 psd 7.3 4x4 crew cab. the extended cab does not have any room for people to ride in and if you get in the back and shut the doors you will see. If you start having guys work iwth you, more leg room will mean less tired guys and harder working. Down side is it's longer so turning it takes more road. I'd get the short bed. unless your pulling a 5th wheel or goose neck, a long bed is too much. Now I will say if you have a tool box and a long bed it's nice for being able to close the tailgate with a 4 wheeler in the bed.

As for the auto vs stick, it's all up to you. the stick does have more it's advantages in pulling but shifting all the time in traffic is a pain. When i get my truck, I should say IF, it will be a 250 4x4 xlt PSD Crew Cab short bed. By the time i get one the 6.0 will have the kinks out. Right now the 6.0 is too new for my taste.

I will say that the 6.0 has more HP and TQ than the 7.3 and the 5speed auto is nice.

Now the ford/dodge thing. My brother in Law has both. 2000 350 CC 7.3 and a 2001 dodge 3500 cumins. both sticks both 4x4. the dodge is nice and has a straight pipe on it so it sounds like a MACK truck. Power on both are about the same but I think it's a little more toward the cummins due to it being the 24 valve. I'd stll take the ford.

Hope this makes it clear as mud.

Scot
Old 03-05-2003, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

The crewcab is the way to go you can unhook the trailer and use it as a family vehicle.The diesel is another must have if you plan on keeping it for a long time.It will pay it self off in fuel savings and resale value will be there if you run the miles up.I just drove to Florida and was able to get 650 miles on 32 gallons of fuel.I have a crewcab longbed 250 psd. I love it rob
Old 03-06-2003, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

dodges suck unless a cummins turbo fords suck no matter what and I think for a mowing truck the best around is about a 70s chevy but if you want something newer. Go with a 2500 HD chevy or gm they are big enough to tow anything and get better gas milage and are the most dependable and cheap to repair. I had a ford but about everything went wrong with it so I sold it for almost nothin and I have a 94 dodge I had to put a new motor in and then I have my 2 older chevys that work great and one has a plow that makes me 200 an hour lol when it snows
Old 03-07-2003, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Derek, how's Manhattan these days? Been a while since I've been there, but I love that town.
As for the trucks, from the sounds of what you have, and currently own, I don't think it's the brand as much as the truck themselves, and maybe the care taken of them. While I've seen some "lemons" with every brand, I would have to say overall Ford or Dodge neither one suck. I would take a mid 90's Ford or Dodge anyday over a 70's GM for a work truck. While the motors may be simpler on the older trucks, they're not as reliable, nor efficient. I've had nothing but good luck with the Dodges, as well as the Fords I've owned. Might just as well say Powerstrokes are horrible because mine lost the serpentine belt the other night.

Randy