Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2003, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I would check out Chevy & GMC 2500 HD's. I bought a 2002 GMC 2500HD Club cab 4 wheel drive with the 6.0 last march. I got the 4.10 rear end for towing. It is rated to 10,400 lbs towing. I have towed over 10,000 with mine with no problem. As for mpg, I get 15 mpg doing 80 - 85 on the interstates, and about 13 towing my trailer around town. Even plowing this winter I got about 10 mpg, we had several storms measured by feet. I plowed 12 places this winter, about fifteen times so far, the truck aint even looked at me funny The automatics of today are rated to pull more than the sticks.

My accountant told me if I was to by a diesel, I would need to put on over 20,000 miles a year for 5 years to break even on the initial investment. I will probably go to deisel if I can afford it.

I owned a 2001 Dodge Ram. Main word is owned. 2 transmissions, two steering columns, two outside mirrors, front universals, two center consoles, stalling and a paint job. All this in under 30,000 miles. If I won a Dodge I would drive it to my nearest GMC dealer and trade it in.

Old 03-13-2003, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the Chevy HD, the Duramax is a good engine, but then again so is the p-stroke.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

don't buy trucks at dealer auctions haha I learned the hard way TWICE
Old 03-16-2003, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

brand loyal

There is a lot to the brand loyal thing. I grew up my dad had a chevy P/U and IH tractors. While in high school he bought his first Ford an 84' 6.9 diesel and has been Ford ever since (he also switched to Deere tractors). My first P/U was an 84 6.2 K-30 Chev. and I have been GM ever since (and I run Case equipment). So I guess the moral of the story is that I have seen that Ford sickness that Brickman has first hand. I think its genetic, somehow I was spared but my brother has the Ford sickness bad too. I do the only thing I can and that is stomp as many Power Strokes as I can. Prior to the Duramax, I admittedly ate a lot of exhaust being a chevy diesel man. Now its payback time.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.