Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Redmax wont honor warranty on blower, what would you do?

I have a EBZ7500 blower that suffered total engine failure on a job earlier this month. I bought it new in May 2012, it died 11/5/12. The dealer is siding with me, the engine failure is no fault to me. However, Redmax and Pace (distributor for the south east) both wont fix it. They want the dealer to disassemble the entire machine, micrometer every part, take pictures and send it in for evaluation. Both the service manager and the owner of the dealer both agree this will likely end with Redmax saying no on repairing or replacing it. The kicker to this- if Redmax turns me down, they will make ME foot the labor bill for the dealer to do all that work. Dealer gave me an estimate for $390, which is only about $70 shy of what I paid for the damn thing.

Needless to say I am furious with Redmax's "warranty". I went ahead and collected my paper weight of a blower and drove down to the nearest Stihl dealer and bought myself a BR600. What would you guys do? Is there any other approach? I just want some kind of return on my investment. 6 month life span for a commercial machine with a 2 year warranty with less than 100 hours on it is absolutely unacceptable.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Please dont get me wrong, Im not siding with redmax. But redmax needs to know why the unit failed before they replace it. This is true with any equipment warranty. My question is how does your dealer know without disassembly and inspection why the engine failed? While I was an auto tech I disassembled many blown engines over the years and found many with faults due to craftsmanship and many due to running out of oil etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If that blower failed thru no fault of your's, then you shouldn't have any trouble with the dealer checking that machine out.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually the dealer is just has responsible has redmax, they abousoutley should dissamble it with no cost to you.

The answer will likley to be to sue redmax and your dealer in small claims court, or forget about it.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Please dont get me wrong, Im not siding with redmax. But redmax needs to know why the unit failed before they replace it. This is true with any equipment warranty. My question is how does your dealer know without disassembly and inspection why the engine failed? While I was an auto tech I disassembled many blown engines over the years and found many with faults due to craftsmanship and many due to running out of oil etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Redmax has already started pointing fingers at me for running straight gasoline in it and has been really hostile to the dealer. My dealer and I both know that is not the case. The potential cost and hostile attitude from Redmax aren't really making it seem like a favorable gamble.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM155 View Post
Redmax has already started pointing fingers at me for running straight gasoline in it and has been really hostile to the dealer. My dealer and I both know that is not the case. The potential cost and hostile attitude from Redmax aren't really making it seem like a favorable gamble.
Does the redmax manual say straight gas or up to 10% ethonel? If it says 10% doesn't matter. Most dealers have a test to see the % of ethonal in it. Let them know those results see if they change their tune then.

Anyways the dealer should be leaning on his sales rep hard also besides the service guys. Then need to prove why its not covered not why it should be covered.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

They are trying to say I ran it without any 2cycle mix, just plain gasoline. I've been in this business a long time and work alone, its just not the case. The engine seems to have melted down- the gaskets have pushed out of the side of the block and its puking fuel mix all over when cranked. None of this matters to me, it broke and I wanted it fixed or replaced. Instead Redmax wanted to play the blame game and waste both the dealer and my time for the better part of a month before they finally decided to make the dealer disassemble it- potentially at my expense. This is not an acceptable way to treat someone who relies on their equipment for a living which is why I'm now headed back to Stihl. The dealer says its really, really close to a particular run of serial numbers that were notorious for this very meltdown but Redmax says its outside of it by ~100 and refuses to think it could have the same issue the older models had, which is why they want it torn down. I'm pretty sure it died due to heat, and Redmax will likely blame it on incorrect fuel mixture or the all elusive ethanol.

My dealer bent over backwards for me to get where we did with Redmax, I have no intention of dragging them into court to bicker about it. Nor do I want to pay a retainer for a lawyer for a $500 piece of equipment. Expensive lesson learned, I guess.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

To be honest, generally that's what has to happen before Redmax, Kawasaki, etc. can replace it for you. They aren't going to ship you a new one until the dealer tells them they took it apart and examined it. You have to go through their process. A pain in the butt, but I don't see how you wouldn't get another one at Redmax expense.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My local dealer would give me a loaner while checking the problem. If I took care of the equipment I would not worry. I have a 2006 hustler mini z and 2006 walker mtghs and both are repairing my mowers free with problems. That is what good companys do.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

In todays economy customer service does not hold significant value especially with large companies. There used to be a time when there was a failure the dealer would exchange the unit or give a rental and take care of the issue no questions asked. Today though is not the case with expenses up and sales down. They will with anything tear down, check and fix as needed. I bought a new mower this season. Within the first day a hydro motor leak developed. They tore the pump down and rebuilt it. I was without my new machine for 4 days. 2 weeks later the same thing happened. They tore it down again and then replaced it only after learning of a defect. Machine down 8 days this time. In my opinion this was a gigantic pile of BS. I had something similar happen 7-8 years ago. The machine came in one afternoon, and by the following morning was ready with a new pump motor.

It is like this with everything now a days. We just had our 3 year old washing machine break due to what looked like a manufacturing issue. This was a $500 black friday sale washer 3 years ago. They just fixed it yesterday. The total repair took 6 weeks due to poor company logistics. The total cost to repair this $500 washer was $1500 in parts and another $1400 in labor all covered by the extended warranty program. We will never buy anything from this retailer again due to their customer service problems. They could have given us a new $500 washer and we would have been happy. Instead they dragged their feet all while looking for something to blame and someone to foot the bill. Bottom line though is that one customer and the couple thousand they may spend in a lifetime means nothing to them as there will always be another homeowner that needs to outfit their house.