Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-01-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can we get you to pull the muffler off and post up a view of the piston and rings? Like this shot of a Stihl engine.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
They could have given us a new $500 washer and we would have been happy.
Appliances don't make sense. Always seems cost more to repair than buying new. My brothers $800 fridge died (no longer under warranty), got $1500 estimate to repair. He went out & purchased new $800 fridge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Can we get you to pull the muffler off and post up a view of the piston and rings? Like this shot of a Stihl engine.

I'm going to go collect it today from the dealer and start selling parts off of it as I've already replaced it with another unit. I'll probably pull the engine apart myself in my spare time and see what went down inside of it.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did it begin running erratic and display hard starting prior to failing? I wonder if it overheated from a lean set carb from the factory?

Shovelracer, that wouldn't have been a maytag neptune washer, would it?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

No, ran and started like normal all day. An hour into a job it felt low on power for about 25 seconds, then a pop noise and it died as if it ran out of fuel. Hasn't ran since.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM155 View Post
I have a EBZ7500 blower that suffered total engine failure on a job earlier this month. I bought it new in May 2012, it died 11/5/12. The dealer is siding with me, the engine failure is no fault to me. However, Redmax and Pace (distributor for the south east) both wont fix it. They want the dealer to disassemble the entire machine, micrometer every part, take pictures and send it in for evaluation. Both the service manager and the owner of the dealer both agree this will likely end with Redmax saying no on repairing or replacing it. The kicker to this- if Redmax turns me down, they will make ME foot the labor bill for the dealer to do all that work. Dealer gave me an estimate for $390, which is only about $70 shy of what I paid for the damn thing.

Needless to say I am furious with Redmax's "warranty". I went ahead and collected my paper weight of a blower and drove down to the nearest Stihl dealer and bought myself a BR600. What would you guys do? Is there any other approach? I just want some kind of return on my investment. 6 month life span for a commercial machine with a 2 year warranty with less than 100 hours on it is absolutely unacceptable.
Well you may have made another mistake. There were 3 BR600 at the dealer this weekend all blown up inside the two year warranty. Stihl asked the dealer to take the engine out and send it to them for evaluation. So what broke on the redmax that required $390
Old 12-02-2012, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Well you may have made another mistake. There were 3 BR600 at the dealer this weekend all blown up inside the two year warranty. Stihl asked the dealer to take the engine out and send it to them for evaluation. So what broke on the redmax that required $390

I'm guessing they didn't keep up with the valves on the Stihl units. I only have one unit as I work by myself so adjusting the valves every 50 hours or so shouldn't be a big deal at all.

The $390 would be the cost of the engine shortblock, without any labor, from the dealer. I still haven't torn the machine down to see if anything obvious is destroyed.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the heads up. Redmax won't honor warranty's. I am never buying anything Redmax now.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Redmax won't honor warranty's. I am never buying anything Redmax now.
I don't think Redmax refused to honor the warranty. They want to see what they're warranting and I don't blame them. Redmax has probably built a million, if not more, 2 stroke engines and for one of them to just seize up is probably extremely rare. They have a lot of experience in building them.

If the OP is 100% certain that the issue is the fault of Redmax, then he should just let the shop tear it down. I asked for a simple through the port picture and I'm still waiting to see it.

I do agree that the dealer is way overcharging for the teardown. $25 or maybe even $50 seems a little more reasonable.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you know you didn't accidentally run straight fuel though it why not allow the dealer to take the steps the manufacturer requests? Obviously if you ran the correct fuel/fuel mixture the machine will be replaced. Are you sure the dealer isn't yanking your chain?