Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-01-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your dealer sucks. I had a Red Max 8500 blower come apart at 13 months old. It has a 2 year warranty. My dealer took the thing apart while we stood there and talked about it. Engine retaining bolt hole broke off the engine. the bolt slid out and wore a hole in the impeller. Repairing would cost RedMax more than a new blower. My dealer had to fill out a form and send pictures. The dealer had a new housing in a couple of days, the motor took a week. I LOVE my 8500's If I had to throw them in a dumpster every 12 months, they were worth the price, because of the time they save...even over our 8050's.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette View Post
Your dealer sucks. I had a Red Max 8500 blower come apart at 13 months old. It has a 2 year warranty. My dealer took the thing apart while we stood there and talked about it. Engine retaining bolt hole broke off the engine. the bolt slid out and wore a hole in the impeller. Repairing would cost RedMax more than a new blower. My dealer had to fill out a form and send pictures. The dealer had a new housing in a couple of days, the motor took a week. I LOVE my 8500's If I had to throw them in a dumpster every 12 months, they were worth the price, because of the time they save...even over our 8050's.
Two totally different break downs. Something breaking like that is not the same as what his problem is. The dealer is advising him that if they tear it down and it is determined to be operator error ( straight or improper mix gas) that he will have to pay for the tear down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
Two totally different break downs. Something breaking like that is not the same as what his problem is. The dealer is advising him that if they tear it down and it is determined to be operator error ( straight or improper mix gas) that he will have to pay for the tear down.
Posted via Mobile Device

His dealer is assuming that his was possibly run with no oil. Mine appeared locked up. You couldn't pull the starter rope on mine. Tearing it down took about 3 minutes. if mine looked like a no-oil problem, my dealer would have thrown it into a box and handed it to me.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Ebz7500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM155 View Post
I have a EBZ7500 blower that suffered total engine failure on a job earlier this month. I bought it new in May 2012, it died 11/5/12. The dealer is siding with me, the engine failure is no fault to me. However, Redmax and Pace (distributor for the south east) both wont fix it. They want the dealer to disassemble the entire machine, micrometer every part, take pictures and send it in for evaluation. Both the service manager and the owner of the dealer both agree this will likely end with Redmax saying no on repairing or replacing it. The kicker to this- if Redmax turns me down, they will make ME foot the labor bill for the dealer to do all that work. Dealer gave me an estimate for $390, which is only about $70 shy of what I paid for the damn thing.

Needless to say I am furious with Redmax's "warranty". I went ahead and collected my paper weight of a blower and drove down to the nearest Stihl dealer and bought myself a BR600. What would you guys do? Is there any other approach? I just want some kind of return on my investment. 6 month life span for a commercial machine with a 2 year warranty with less than 100 hours on it is absolutely unacceptable.

The EBZ7500 is an awesome blower.

This issue you described sounds like it was not cooling properly resulting in pre-ignition. Probably blew a hole in the top of the piston gaulded the rings and scratched the cylinder. Only answer is short-block and it should be covered under warranty. A tear down is required obviously to diagnose but that will happen after you find that it does not have compression.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

still seem a little rich on the price to tear it down.
I would agree to a service fee of say 35 to 50 bucks but not 75% of the value of the machine
Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8rickyj View Post
I had a similar situation once. A letter or a phone call from an attorney might yield better results. It did in my case anyway
How much did you Pay for that letter
Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sucks to be treated like dirt with a warranty issue, no doubt.

To the OP, were you using mid-grade or premium fuel in your mix?
Does a manufacturer have any recourse if the end-user is not running the recommended higher octane fuel?

In case this helps, I count 4 gas stations in Huntsville, AL that offer ethanol-free higher octane fuel at:
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AL
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Redmax EBZ7500

Since 1999 we used 87 octane gasoline for our mix (2 stroke) machines (most Redmax machines)... never get big problems with them... last year we bought 3 new Redmax ebz7500 blowers... 1 of them broke... Dealer keep this machine since November to fix, but have not solutions... they said problem was caused because use 87 octane gas... Redmax company do not want to pay for fix... we used that blower for less than month (November fall clean-ups)... since we bought this machine in October, dealer do not want to replace. This year we will start use 93 octane gas for all 2 stroke machines.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes sir 87 octane can and will preignite in such an engine. Manual says 89 or higher. Higher is a waste. READ THE MANUAL. Same thing happened to a LOT of high performance car engines.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
How much did you Pay for that letter
I have Legal Shield. I pay $40 a month to protect my business and my family.
They handle all my legal issues without getting a huge bill afterwords.

2010 Toyota Tundra
2011 18' Rice Trailer W/Sidegate
2008 12' Doolittle Open Trailer
2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4X4
2011 52" Wright Stander X
2010 36" Wright Stander RH
2008 52" Toro Timecutter
3 Stihl FS110R Trimmers
Stihl FS100 Trimmer
Stihl HL 100Z Hedge Trimmer
Sthil MS290 Chainsaw
Sthil FC95 Stick Edger