Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

f150 dieing. tacoma or frontier?

my 2007 ford f150 is about to give up the ghost. lookin at eather a toyota tacoma crew cab 4x4 or a nissan fronteir 4x4 crew cab. i want something small cause im going back to school in augest for auto mechanics and i need something good on gas. what you guys recomend. i kinda wana stick with something in the mid size trucks like the taco or frontier, gas mpgs nd price. also this will be my first new truck . the f150 i got i bought 2nd hand, ex fire truck. prolly why everything breaking. pcm, cat converter, ac compresser . nd winsheild. guess thats what 10 k gets u nowadays.lol. lemme know what yall think.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the Nissan is actually worse on gas than the F-150 my ex had one, have also heard this from several others who bought one thinking they would save on gas as well. If your going to be pulling stick with the F-150.my 05 has 100,000 on it and is going strong. Toyota, well it starts with TOY so I won't even go there, LOL its not even a truck.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

You're going to school for "auto mechanics" and can't replace a converter, pcm, a/c compressor and a windshield? You're looking at less than $1,000 worth of work here even if you paid someone to do it for you depending on what else needs looked at with the compressor and pcm.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I've looked at the midsized trucks also hoping to save some gas and I've come to the same conclusion. I don't understand the midsized truck market. If you get one with a V6, it's going to get the same gas mileage as a half-ton (14-MAYBE 18) without as much capability. If you get a V4, you might get up to 20-22, but it doesn't seem like it would be able to handle anything beyond a few tools in the bed. I'm sticking with a half-ton for now. You may look at fixing yours. Not that old and the repairs don't classify it as "giving up the ghost" in my opinion. Not trying to tell you what to do, but don't trip over dollars to pick up dimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
the Nissan is actually worse on gas than the F-150 my ex had one, have also heard this from several others who bought one thinking they would save on gas as well. If your going to be pulling stick with the F-150.my 05 has 100,000 on it and is going strong. Toyota, well it starts with TOY so I won't even go there, LOL its not even a truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

ex fire truck. prolly been dogged all of the pre 72k miles. which is making me think other things are going to fail.im looking more at the nissan,
Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Very well could be. I will say this, a customer of mine bought a brand new CC frontier for around $20K out the door. He said they were willing to deal a lot more than Toyota, but I'm sure that varies. So even if its not a lot cheaper on gas, the initial purchase price may be cheaper. A new CC F150 is probably going to set you back 30K+. Best of luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVANTEC LAWNS View Post
ex fire truck. prolly been dogged all of the pre 72k miles. which is making me think other things are going to fail.im looking more at the nissan,
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I will never buy a new vehicle again anyway, get one three years old and save all that depreciation loss, a "New" vehicle is one of the worst purchases one can make. I'll buy two or three years old in good shape and low miles anyday over a new one.