Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Problem Mowing Account

I have an account that I've been mowing for a couple of months now where the husband called me to take over the mowing from him. His mower broke and he works a lot and just wants the lawn off his to-do list. We agreed on a price and weekly mowing. Things were fine at first but now every time I'm there his wife comes out...mow it shorter, mow it less often, be sure to blow the driveway (I leave all hard surfaces spotless), you missed a spot last time, after 3 days it looked like you hadn't mowed at all, etc, etc. As far as I'm concerned I'm working for him and he's happy with my service, but she's the one that is always there when I service the lawn.

I suspect that the real deal is that she doesn't agree with his decision to hire me and wants him to mow it...doesn't want to spend the money. I do a really nice job and the lawn looks so much better with everything trimmed and edged, but it seems that this lady just can't be pleased. I don't think I can tell her to just shut it and I take my orders from your husband not you. It's her lawn too after all. I'm too the point that if she comes running out the next time I'm there with a list of complaints I'm going to just get back in my truck and wave bye bye.

Anybody been there before?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you answered your own question-everything was fine until they had to get out the checkbook!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
you answered your own question-everything was fine until they had to get out the checkbook!
Yeah, either that or she pulled the same crap on him and he broke his mower on purpose to have an excuse not to mow it anymore, lol.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Yeah, either that or she pulled the same crap on him and he broke his mower on purpose to have an excuse not to mow it anymore, lol.
Now that's funny! Have a talk with the husband & explain you are mowing at a healthy height & if the wife wants it shorter & less often, then you will have to stop service, as you don't want to be associated with a hacked up lawn. Tell him she don't like that it don't look freshly cut after 3 days & grass will not look fresh cut for 6 days then sprout up the day you are scheduled to mow. Explain if you cut shorter & less often it will not be green when you mow & shaggy in 2 weeks when you return. Potential customers in the area may not hire you after seeing their property. IF he is happy with the service, he may have a talk with the wife.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jovingo Landscaping View Post
Now that's funny! Have a talk with the husband & explain you are mowing at a healthy height & if the wife wants it shorter & less often, then you will have to stop service, as you don't want to be associated with a hacked up lawn. Tell him she don't like that it don't look freshly cut after 3 days & grass will not look fresh cut for 6 days then sprout up the day you are scheduled to mow. Explain if you cut shorter & less often it will not be green when you mow & shaggy in 2 weeks when you return. Potential customers in the area may not hire you after seeing their property. IF he is happy with the service, he may have a talk with the wife.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm pretty sure Darryl knows how to handle the customer. He's just wondering if anyone else has customers that you get two different answers from (husband, wife).

You are right, he needs to talk to the husband but not to explain anything on his part but more so the husband explain things on why his wife is coming out and complaining every time he's there to service the property.

Whatever you do, don't say something like the comment in bold to the customer. You'll be insulting their intelligence and most likely get fired.

Last edited by orangemower; 09-27-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I see nothing wrong with that post. I may not say it using those exact words.
Though I would say to the husband: Did you like the way I mowed your lawn in the beginning? The I would go on to say that his wife is not happy and wants the lawn cut shorter then what is healthy for the lawn. Cutting a lawn extra short besides not being good for the lawn it also does not extend the new cut look to last for days.

I want to keep your business but when doing poor quality work that your wife is requiring it reflects badly on my business. I can't afford to have people come by seeing me do poor quality and saying I would never hire that hack.

So I have to cut it at the correct height or stop doing your landscaping.

This way the husband and the wife have to have a meeting of the minds and decide that the wife has to shut her mouth or they agree to a parting of the ways with you. This conversation will force them to dump or get off the pot.

No reason to play games. They sound like a bunch of game players trying to out play each other. He doesn't want to mow the lawn. She don't want to pay for it. She's probably being a bee itch to get the LCO to quit.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I see nothing wrong with that post. I may not say it using those exact words.
Though I would say to the husband: Did you like the way I mowed your lawn in the beginning? The I would go on to say that his wife is not happy and wants the lawn cut shorter then what is healthy for the lawn. Cutting a lawn extra short besides not being good for the lawn it also does not extend the new cut look to last for days.

I want to keep your business but when doing poor quality work that your wife is requiring it reflects badly on my business. I can't afford to have people come by seeing me do poor quality and saying I would never hire that hack.

So I have to cut it at the correct height or stop doing your landscaping.

This way the husband and the wife have to have a meeting of the minds and decide that the wife has to shut her mouth or they agree to a parting of the ways with you. This conversation will force them to dump or get off the pot.

No reason to play games. They sound like a bunch of game players trying to out play each other. He doesn't want to mow the lawn. She don't want to pay for it. She's probably being a bee itch to get the LCO to quit.
I hope you wouldn't use the words you just posted either.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for advice Orange, didn't think about that statement insulting the client. Darryl stated if it happened next week, he was inclined to get back in truck & wave bye bye. I took that as, he was not gonna contact husband about the issue. I have not had this kinda issue, so my post is how I may have responded. What I love about lawnsite is the advice given. I learned something new. Your advice about approaching husband to find out why wife is complaining week after week is great. Husband may not even be aware his wife is doing this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for advice Orange, didn't think about that statement insulting the client. Darryl stated if it happened next week, he was inclined to get back in truck & wave bye bye. I took that as, he was not gonna contact husband about the issue. I have not had this kinda issue, so my post is how I may have responded. What I love about lawnsite is the advice given. I learned something new. Your advice about approaching husband to find out why wife is complaining week after week is great. Husband may not even be aware his wife is doing this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly the reason I'd toss him the ball. If I were Darryl, I'd call him first and simply ask why his wife is complaining. Bam, he's got the ball and will have to be proactive about the situation. I'd be willing to bet she doesn't come out anymore after the phone call. I say let THEM fight over it as long as you get paid for the job and don't have to deal with any problems.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow it shorter so it will last longer really gets my blood boiling. Good idea about getting in your truck next time. If it bothers you like it bothers me, tell the husband that you can work for him if she doesn't interfere.