Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Z Master 400 Problem ......

First let me say thanks for letting me participate with all. I am just a novelist yard guy. My question to all is I am having a issue with my Toro Z400 Master Mower. The mower will start up fine but as soon as I dis-engage my brake lever it dies. I replaced the brake limit switch and went ahead and replaced the seat and lever switch as well. Still cuts off when I dis-engage brake. I took it to an old friend who worked on old mowers and he cannot figure it out. He did show me a trick to help me temporarily get by with. I disengage the two wires that run to the coil to the motor. When I unplug this two wire coil connector the mower does not cut off and will run when I disengage the brake lever. I have to plug this back in to cut it off but it will run. Problem is I don't think the battery will charge doing it this way nor is it safe. Anyone run into anything like this? My Toro does have the roll bar assembly so I assume it does not contain one of those mercury turnover switches. If it does does anyone know where I would find it. I believe my Toro Z400 is a 2006 or 2007 Model. I am completely and thoroughly stumped to say the least. Your expertise is welcomed.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does the 400 have the hour meter with the switch indicators like the 500? 4 little boxes across the top of the hour meter that show when switch makes contact- If not use a meter or 12v light to test each of those switches one at a time until you find the problem. If you cannot find a faulty switch that way you might have a touchy switch that just needs adjusting. Wiggle the brake lever, wiggle each handlebar in and out, bounce the seat. If you still can't find it (which I have never been this far)check the ignition switch and PTO switch for a failure.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who will say WELCOME!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sucks, I'd tell you to bypass the brake switch but I know from experience you'll fry through the pads soon and then you'll have no brake.
Maybe as a last resort, but I'd use it more as a fix to get the lawn cut if the grass gets really high, then get back to seeing if you can find the actual issue.

Sounds to me like a broken connection somewhere.
On those switches you replaced you'll want to now test for continuinity with some sort of 12v tester, to make sure current is actually getting to the switches...
Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Check both of the drive lever switches.
6.5 x 12 Single Open Trailer
2011 24/52" Toro Grandstand
2007 Toro 23/52" Z Master Z453 w/E-Z Vac
21" Craftsman Push
Echo SRM-260 Line Trimmer
Stihl KM 110R Kombi w/multiple attachments
Stihl BR-600 Backpack Blower
Echo HC-165 24" Hedge Trimmer
Echo HC-1500 20" Hedge Trimmer