Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm123a View Post
Hi White Gardens - Could you please expand a bit on your use of the evacuator? I have one. I use it to change the engine oil in my jet skis since there is no way to drain it. So I am familiar with using the evacuator to remove fluid. Are you saying to use it when refilling?

Thank You
You'll want to fill the reservoir and then take out one of the dump valves on one of the pumps, or that's how we used to do it at a shop I worked at.

I used a barbed fitting that I purchased from a hardware store to put in place of the dump valve, and then used thread tape to get a decent seal without really tightening the barbed fitting too much. Then hook the hose of the evacuator to the barbed end and start pulling oil through the system.

Just keep going to you see little to no air coming through the line on the evacuator.

When mowers with hydro systems are built in the factory, they use the same type of system to fill the hydros. When I worked for Dixie Chopper, they recommended that we had an evacuator in the shop for hydro work.

I would call Scag though to confirm this method with them first though to be on the safe side.

As for ATF and acetone, yes it does work and know some people that use it and say it's awesome. I've also heard of ATF and turpentine.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Back out the bolts and let the pulley fall. Wedge in your object and crank on the bolts again. Keep doing this when your bolts bottom out.
This is a Great Idea ! I never thought of using the hub to back it's self out.

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

PJM,
You obviously have a fair amount of mechanical aptitude and learn quickly from your experiences. Thanks for posting this step by step description of your rebuild!
David
Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I've subscribed to this thread! I commend you on your restoration. I know how it is to become attached to a mower. I would do the same thing if I were in your shoes. Keep up the good work! It will pay off in the long run. You will have something to be proud of after you've completed it and you can literally say "I built this".

Brian

05' Nissan Titan Crew Cab
5x14 Trailer w/ Gate and Racks

John Deere 717a
Red Max BCZ2601S Trimmer
Red Max EBZ7500 Backpack Blower
Stihl FS 210 Chainsaw
Poulan Pro Hedge Trimmer
Assortment of Hand Tools

Last edited by blabarre; 01-08-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the positive comments blabarre, dboyd, and breez. Thanks for the input on the evacuator White Gardens. I will do some research on what you suggest. One thing that I think makes my situation different from a new startup is that these are not new parts and I have taken some care try to keep their existing fluid in them. I have made some additional progress. Both pumps are now sitting in the new chassis. The reconditioned footplate is now re-installed (my daughter took care of that for me). Also moved the hydro oil tank and ready to bolt up the hydro oil filter head.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thank you for the positive comments blabarre, dboyd, and breez. Thanks for the input on the evacuator White Gardens. I will do some research on what you suggest. One thing that I think makes my situation different from a new startup is that these are not new parts and I have taken some care try to keep their existing fluid in them. I have made some additional progress. Both pumps are now sitting in the new chassis. The reconditioned footplate is now re-installed (my daughter took care of that for me). Also moved the hydro oil tank and ready to bolt up the hydro oil filter head.

Does not matter. If you pull any hoses, replace any fluid or anything of the sort you are supposed to use an evacuator. It's the air bubbles in the system, not the lack of oil.

You basically run there of getting an air lock either in a pump or motor and burning it up while the system tries to purge the air.

Think of it this way too, if you replaced caliper on a car, would you assume you had enough oil in the caliper tomake it function properly, or would you bleed the system?

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by White Gardens; 01-09-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Does not matter. If you pull any hoses, replace any fluid or anything of the sort you are supposed to use an evacuator. It's the air bubbles in the system, not the lack of oil.

You basically run there of getting an air lock either in a pump or motor and burning it up while the system tries to purge the air.

Think of it this way too, if you replaced caliper on a car, would you assume you had enough oil in the caliper tomake it function properly, or would you bleed the system?
Posted via Mobile Device
I kinda hear you but that sucking device isn't going to get all the air out or
all the oil. This rebuild isn't much different than doing a oil change or replacing a pump or wheel motor. I have done them and watched many done and I have never seen anybody using a suction device. Just put oil in start it up with wheels off the ground and run it until it fixes it self. Yes there is apparently air inthe system and I don't know where it goes but the units will eventually start driving. Am I doing something really wrong?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I kinda hear you but that sucking device isn't going to get all the air out or
all the oil. This rebuild isn't much different than doing a oil change or replacing a pump or wheel motor. I have done them and watched many done and I have never seen anybody using a suction device. Just put oil in start it up with wheels off the ground and run it until it fixes it self. Yes there is apparently air inthe system and I don't know where it goes but the units will eventually start driving. Am I doing something really wrong?
I am almost 100% sure i read in one of my owners manuals that if air becomes present you can loosen the two allen head bolts on top of the hydro pumps to let it escape..
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

My only experience with working on hydraulic components was when I replaced the seals in a wheel motor. I also ran the mower initially with the wheels off the ground. Another thing I read somewhere is to disable the engine from starting then crank it a few times to start driving the pumps just from the engine turning over.

On another note, I ran into a little snag on the restoration. I was starting to work on the steering controls. My intent was to use the components as a whole from the donor except the one obviously bent handle. After assembling the mechanism on the first one I found that it would not go to the fully dis-engaged position (handle completely outward). It was hanging up on the surrounding bracket (see pic). After dis-assembling everything and comparing side by side to my original part it was clear that the assembly that holds the handle was also bent. So I am having to dig deeper into the steering mechanism than I had planned and will end up using a mix of original and donor parts on the one side. While I was waiting (literally) for some paint to dry I also started working on the linkages that raise and lower the deck.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Things are coming along slowly but surely with the rebuild. Cleaned up some smaller parts today that I will be re-using from the burned mower. Shown is the battery box and the brake shaft. For the smaller parts I am using a wire brush or a wire wheel mounted on a drill. Still following everything with lacquer thinner and 2 coats each of primer and paint.
Attached Images