Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm123a View Post
Still working on the seat. Taking longer than I thought.
I guess that one little piece to the left is arm rest. Might as well just engr youself a new better suppor their aren't strong enough.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Ed - yep that is what it is. Still evaluating seat options. I did order new cushions. My original ones of course are completely gone. I think I have maybe a spring left. On the donor because of the twisting when it got wrecked the plywood cracked in various places including where the grommets are for the bolts to go into that hold the cushions to the seat pan. So basically I ended up with no options for cushions. I found a new seat cushion and backrest cushion on ebay for $159 for both so I'm going with that. In the meantime, I've turned my attention back to the engine to wrap it up. I now consider it complete right down to the air cleaner. It starts and runs and idles real nice. The only thing I have not been able to do yet is test it under load, but I don't anticipate any problems with that. I am real happy with how it turned out. The only way you would know that it didn't come from the factory this way is that the air cleaner is slightly tilted. This is because my original engine was a Kohler and the replacement a Kawasaki. Since the mounting parts are different I had to go with the donor's mounting parts and one bracket was slightly bent. This doesn't seem to impact anything other than the looks. I think it adds character :-)
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would try to move that fuel filter further away from the muffler...if that is what I see in the photo.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I would try to move that fuel filter further away from the muffler...if that is what I see in the photo.
The fuel filter is no where near the muffler....
Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Looks great pjm! If u can upload videos you ought to post one of the mower running.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey PJM that was a hell of a project. How many hours it took so far
Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would pop those valve covers off and give them a little buffing. They look kinda nasty against all of that new paint.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very, very nice work!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you thought about just buying a new seat? Maybe upgrading to a suspension seat?

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the kind words and encouragement. Some responses:

The fuel filter is up by the valve cover (upper left) where it was when the engine was on the donor. The thing in the lower right hand corner next to the clamp is just a label I wrapped around the control cable. I did this so I could keep track of the throttle and choke cable to make sure I re-connected them properly.

I tried to upload a video to the site but it wouldn't take it. I have uploaded a video to youtube. You can hear it here: http://youtu.be/MHqSEr2XxsU

I have no idea how many hours I have into this. I never had any intent to track the hours. I've felt like I was on a mission ever since I started this. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 50 or 60 hours.

I actually have a spare set of valve covers and was going to do some polishing but these scags have a large metal bracket/bumper that goes across the back of the thing. I will be putting on a newly painted one. Once that is on you will never see the valve covers unless you want to to.

I already have parts from 3 seats so I want to try to use them. I did order new cushions.

Latest update:

I installed the correct new battery. This one sits in the box rather than on it! I also re-connected all the hyrdo lines and replaced some hose clamps. I did not have much luck with cheapo hose clamps. I was just not happy with them stripping before they were completely tight. I ended up getting some Breeze hose clamps. They are what were originally on there. These Breeze clamps are quality. The cheapo ones may work for some applications but I am much happier with the Breeze ones on these hydro lines. I also filled the hydro tank with fresh 20W50. The rear end is now in the air. I will next be hooking up the drive belt. After that I will be ready to see if the wheels turn.