Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey PJM thanks for all pictures from project mower. When you get deck done and installed in mower get us a picture of complete project thanks again
Old 03-04-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PJM, congratulations on your success. I am sure that there are plenty of people who may now be inspired to do a similiar project that might have seemed impossible prior to seeing this thread.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Still following this thread, its amazing to see the progress. Even looking at the picture of the deck i know i would have walked away so kudos to you

Rhode Island Landscapers Thread:
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Absolutely. Enjoying every single post.. Keep up the awesome thread.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Paul (pjm)~ Been watching your post from beginning to present and have to say "Hat's off too you" "2 Huge Thumbs up"~ Amazing work... if I had been closer would have been right there offering to give you a hand wrenching... My Dad , my grandfather and myself were all the type to say "It may look dead, but lets rebuild that dam thing"~ Though sometimes it was practical $$ wise, it was always fun to do what seemed the impossible~ Great going~!
Awesome words by Bigirish320~ "Remember amateurs built the Ark..and professionals built the Titanic"~
Paul keep us posted and new photos once you get the deck back on and cutting =)
Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Guys, don't really know what to say other than I'm blown away by all the positive comments. Thanks so much for the encouragement. It makes me want to really complete this project. I have started on the deck. The main difficulty with working on it is that sometimes you need to get to the top and sometimes the bottom. The darn thing is pretty heavy so it is not easy to flip over. I ended up standing it on end braced with a couple of strategically placed metal chairs with some other heavy stuff in turn bracing the chairs. I am studying how to get the pulleys off. That looks like the hardest part. It looks like it is the same split tapered hubs as the pulleys on the hydro pumps. I hope to have the deck stripped down over this coming weekend. Then I will decide if it needs sandblasting and priming or if it can be just cleaned up and painted.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go over that deck real good with a straight edge before I put a lot of work into it. It looks like that's where the hottest part of the fire was and it has been severely scorched. If Scag used aluminum spindles they probably would have melted.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Got a little time today to work on the deck. I have managed to get the first pulley and spindle off. You can see the hole in the deck where the spindle was. Also you can see how badly the wheels and rollers were burned. There is a also a picture of all the crud in the pulley guards. Restoring the deck is going to be a bigger job than I thought. Will keep plugging away at it though.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2013, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Member

It will be worth it.. keep on keeping on.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ive been following this thread for a while now and I am seriously blown away by your restore job! When I first saw this thread I though no way will it happen and no way is it worth it. Well, I was was wrong. Youve done an awesome job and I hope it all works out for you. Good stuff!