Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm123a View Post
About the metal fatigue from the heat. .....
Not to be picky here, but just so everybody is on the same page ...

The metal properties can degrade from the heat. This is not disputable. However, fatigue is not the right term. Metal fatigue is definitely a problem in some parts, but is unrelated to heat (unless the cycles are caused by cyclic temperatures -- not the case here). Metal fatigue is exhibited in metal parts that are subjected to cyclic strain cycles. Whether or not the cyclic nature is a problem for failure depends upon the level of strain. At some levels, the number of cycles can be infinite, without failure. At other levels, the failure point can be well defined by S-N curves, that is strain vs. number of cycles.

For example, an aircraft wing is designed to remain safe under X number of takeoff-landings. Each t-l is a cycle, a cycle being one extreme strain level to another, then back again. These numbers have great significance on the life of the aircraft.

Not to digress here, but sometimes terms are used that are not related to the problem at hand.

I wish you well with your project, and can understand your desire to rebuild the machine. Obviously, time isn't critical for you, only parts costs.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Did a bit more work. Getting the burned tires off the front casters. Most of the rubber was gone but the steel cords within the tires was still there. I ended up cutting through them with a metal cutting dremel tool. One wheel spins pretty smoothly and the other is pretty bound up. I am going to replace the seals, roller bearings, sleeves and spacers in each and they should be OK. I already have these parts as spares from work I did on the casters a few years ago. If it all looks OK, I'll put a couple of new tires on my shopping list for when after the caster support assembly is cleaned up and painted. Also started sandblasting the chassis and priming. Looks pretty good considering it is from a spray can. I have high hopes for getting the chassis ready to paint. If the second coat from the spray can looks OK I may skip having it primed with a sprayer. Might even try painting with with a spray can. We'll see how it goes.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

what sandblaster setup are you using
Old 12-11-2012, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Subbing for updates.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 12-11-2012, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be worried about the deck getting warped from the heat. Decks have been known to warp on their own over time, let alone an extreme event like the fire.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Bump for an update. I'd love to see this machine come back together. Keep up the good work!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Work looking good.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Alldayrj - the sand blaster belongs to my neighbor. It is just something that I think he picked up from a big box store (Lowes or Home Depot). Attached is a pic. It seems to work OK as long as the sand is kept dry. Any moisture and things get clogged up.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I happened to be passing a little business that advertised sand blasting and powder coating. He said he would do my WB for $85. They were working inside a ship container.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank You for procareope and laman. Work is coming along slowly. Got the caster rims off and cleaned up. I am a bit stuck figuring out how to get the seals and roller bearings out of the rims. They are parts 42 and 44 in the diagram. I am wondering if they can be removed without a press?? Appreciate any ideas.
Attached Images