Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
When I brought our 12 year old 32" Scag in from storage the gas was streaming out from that fitting. I think it is a bad design. Is the recall for this or Kaw fuel filters?
That Scag recall was for gas squirting out of the carb.

I suspect that the huge majority of ZTR fires are caused by these grommets deteriorating and then failing.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Richard is right, everyone needs to check these Grommets.
I was doing maintenance on one of my walk behinds today and bumped the fuel line and it started pouring out gas out the grommet. The whole tank drained out on the mower and transmission, Gladly the mower had not been started and hot. For a part that costs about $3 I will start replacing them on all my mowers yearly.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I had already checked out the recall info. My serial number did not match the units recalled. Also the recall was for mowers with Kawasaki engines and mine was a Kohler. I am going to check the grommets on my turf tiger and keep an eye on them. Maybe I'll just go ahead and replace them anyway. Cheap insurance.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

The work on the chassis has been going slower than I'd hoped although it is almost ready for painting. Even though it is a bare chassis is still too heavy for one person to manipulate. As a result I can only work on it when I can get some help. In the meantime, I have started working on the rear wheels. Here is a series of pics. First the wheel showing all the soot and damage from the fire. There are subsequent pictures showing the wheel after sandblasting, cleaning with lacquer, first coat of primer, second coat of primer, first coat of paint, and second coat of paint. The final picture shows the wheel after it has had a couple of hours to dry from the last coat. One wheel is ready for a tire.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls47303 View Post
My Tiger Cub falls into this catagory. Wonder if they'll still honor it. The recall was issued in 2004?!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking at a parts diagram for a turf tiger, it looks like they call the grommet a bushing:
47 48309 Tank Bushing

For a tiger cub there are 2 fuel tanks and it looks like these bushings are towards the front of the tanks and over the drive wheels. On the turf tiger the tank is underneath and it looks like (from the diagram anyway) that if this bushing leaked the fuel would just leak onto the ground.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbart View Post
My Tiger Cub falls into this catagory. Wonder if they'll still honor it. The recall was issued in 2004?!
I don't know for sure in this case, but it has been my experience in general with power equipment recalls for safety reasons that they will indeed honor it regardless of the amount of time that has passed.

Nice Wheel PJM!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

That grommet issue will likely be covered, double check with your dealer, most dealerships will make sure that gets covered. They're inexpensive and simple to replace, but just like fuel line or diaphragms, anything that is suitable to deterioration and exposed to fuel is going to eventually wear. Nice work on the rims, is that factory Cat's Eye Gold or a match?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I saw a post in the forum from somebody who tried this stuff:
Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Spray, Gloss Real Orange

Home Depot had it for $3.87 per can so I picked it up and am going with it. Seems pretty close to SCAG Orange. It also goes on pretty nice. I am going with 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint on everything.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm123a View Post
On the turf tiger the tank is underneath and it looks like (from the diagram anyway) that if this bushing leaked the fuel would just leak onto the ground.
That's okay as long as the mower is moving. If you stop.... bang!