Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

One of my goals in this endeavor is to end up with a running mower at a cost less than (exclusive of time spent considerations) what a new one would cost (I figure realistically about $8,000). My expenses so far total $119.22. The itemized list is as follows:
1 QT LACQUER THINNER $7.48
8 cans of primer $54.22
4 bags PLAYSAND 50 lbs $14.60
KOBALT IN-LINE DESICCANT DRYER $11.96
8 cans of Rustoleum orange paint - $30.96

I am only counting things I have actually had to buy. Some things I am using I already had (some spare parts I happened to have on hand and some pretty generic things - for instance white spray paint for the casters). Any tools that I buy that serve a general purpose will not be counted. Of the above, the in-line desiccant probably deserves some explanation. We found that the water vapor created by the compressor came through the air hose and mixed with the sand during sand blasting. This in turn caused the sand blasting gun to clog up (quite frustrating). Putting the inline dryer (brought from Lowes) did a pretty good job of solving this. I had never needed something like this before on my air compressor but I've also never used it for sand blasting prior to this.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Picked up a donor Tiger Cub today. It's hour meter says 637.1. The only difference between this and mine was that I had a Kholver CV20S engine and this has a Kawasaki FH601V. Having this donor will make the restoration much easier I hope. I should now have everything I need and even 2 of some things. Attached are some pics. This mower was in a highway accident and the frame was twisted. Its owner was either going to buy my frame or I was going to buy his mower. His plan was to do what I am trying to do. He told me the mower did run after the highway wreck but that was about 1.5 years ago so it has been that long since it ran. The Kawi will turn over but not fire. I don't want to dismantle anything until I get the engine running in place first. I would also like to see if it moves under its own power so I have some confidence in the hyrdo parts. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get a Kawi FH601V engine running that has sat for 1.5 years I would sure like to hear them.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would start by getting one of the tanks cleaned out and then put new fuel filter on it. Then I would take the carb off and take it apart and clean it up.
Next I would be sure the fuel selenoid is working....check the fuses first. Usually they will start even if it is not working but die real quick. I would get some addative to run in case there is water left around in the system.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

How to Start The Kawasaki

Unplug the engine harness from the mower. Charge the battery fully. get the wire that goes to the carb connect the wire from the battery to the carb that will release the fuel to the carb. Use a screwdriver to short across the starter from the bat wire on the starter try to choke it. If doesnt fire give it a shot of starting fluid. The coils on that engine only ground to short them out and make them stop firing and once you unplug the engine harness that solves the safety switch from killing the coils. and since the cover is off engine just unplug both the coils that will allow it to fire. Leave harness plugged in
Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice ed2hess and teckjohn. I've spent a few minutes in in the garage with it. The battery read 8.4 volts on my multimeter. I have a slow charge at 2 amps on it. Both fuel tanks are bone dry. I am actually considering that a good thing at this point. It would really be something if all needs is some gas! The seat frame is pretty mangled and I basically just want to get the seat out of the way at this point. The attached pic shows how a bolt got bent (along with everything else) in the wreck. It is one of 2 bolts that go through a pair of hinges that hold the seat to the frame. It is actually the better of the 2 bolts. I will probably have to cut the other one to get it out so I can get the seat off. We'll see what happens once the battery is charged.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sub'd, work looks good so far. Are you using rattle cans for paint or spray guns?

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 12-31-2012, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Greyst1. Everything has been done with rattle cans. Two coats of primer and two coats of paint. I am quite happy with the results so far.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Me too, props to you for taking on this kind of project. You gonna repower with the used Kaw?

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

That's the plan. I've got to get it running where it sits first though.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

What did u have to do

what started it? gimme the details LOL