Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

48" vs 52"

I am wanting to upgrade next year to either a 48 or 52 mower. With that being said let me tell you about me first. I already have 2 36" mowers. I currently only do residential mowing right now and based on what others bids are I'll probly stay that way for awhile. My big question here is what is the big advantages or disadvantages between the 48" or 52" decks. It will be a stander as I already have a vride and really like how it operates and am demoing the 61" and it is just a couple inches to big for most of our current properties and this mower will need to be my primary mower even tho I know there will be yards neither will fit. Also what do most of y'all prefer and why as far as 48 or 52?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well the difference between the 2 is usually down to deck size(obviously), frame(ie. thickness, bracing), hydro pump size, and wheel and tire size. Now the 52 is bigger and/or beefier in all these categories... Or at least in most instances. Not sure if that is true on standers but it is for Z's

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know wright has what they call large and small frame standers. pretty sure the deck sizes are all the same ''frame'' just different engines, hydros, wheels/tires depending on what model you're getting. not sure if scag or anyone else does the same.

if you're only planning on residential i'd say 48'' as that would be more maneuverable yet and you may find that you can get places a 52 can't. it's only a difference of 4'' and on residentials you aren't gonna notice it much. realistically it's maybe only a pass or two on most residentials, maybe less. only you can tell really, you know what your yards look like
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know wright has what they call large and small frame standers. pretty sure the deck sizes are all the same ''frame'' just different engines, hydros, wheels/tires depending on what model you're getting. not sure if scag or anyone else does the same.

if you're only planning on residential i'd say 48'' as that would be more maneuverable yet and you may find that you can get places a 52 can't. it's only a difference of 4'' and on residentials you aren't gonna notice it much. realistically it's maybe only a pass or two on most residentials, maybe less. only you can tell really, you know what your yards look like
Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I'd look at the deck's overhang past the rear wheels. If the 48" has little or no deck overhang to allow trimming, I'd get the 52". If the 48" has sufficient trimming ability I'd prefer the 48". Because like kawakx125 pointed out it's nearly as fast and will fit more places. Plus it would scalp just a little less, handle a tiny bit easier, dig up the turf just a little less on the turns.
The advantage of standers are speed over having big swath capability.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you guys for all your input. I've always wondered why companies Made both a 48 and 52 and besides the extra 4 inches it really didn't make much of a difference. I really wish my dealer would have let me demoed the 48 or 52" but I guess they are really trying hard to sell these new 61" vrides. It appeares to be a great mower just a little large how many people use 61" mowers on residential accounts
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

IMO a 61'' really isn't necessary on a general neighborhood residential account. scalping will be increased, chances are its not gonna fit everywhere, etc. great for larger open properties and commercial stuff but not your run of the mill neighborhoods.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
IMO a 61'' really isn't necessary on a general neighborhood residential account. scalping will be increased, chances are its not gonna fit everywhere, etc. great for larger open properties and commercial stuff but not your run of the mill neighborhoods.
i have a 61'' vride and only do residential properties...i do a few large properties but mostly small to medium...i have noticed that the vride is very maneuverable and fits everywhere i need it too except a few gated back yards
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 10-14-2012, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you already have a 36 v ride I would by the 52 since it uses the same blades.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Good point I hadn't thought of that yet
Posted via Mobile Device