Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Blue Heron eating Koi

I've got a small Koi pond that has been doing well for several years. Three Koi about 1' long and 10 were about 6" long. The other day I noticed a Blue Heron take off when I let the dogs out. Checked and ALL of the fish are gone. Now it appears he has taken up residence and obviously I'm not going to restock until he moves on. Is there a simple way to prevent these guys from getting to the fish without screening or fencing around the pond?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bb gun
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No.... If they want the fish they will get them. I have a client with a huge Koi pond that has been cleaned out several times by a Heron. He tried shooting it with a paint ball gun, we tried motion activated impact sprinklers and every other kind of scarecrow that we could find. The bird seems to come when it pleases. Sometimes it will leave the pond alone for months and other times it will come and clean it all out in a week.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, they are much more difficult to deal with than raccoons or other predators. He might come back, he might not. Make sure the fish have a lot of places to hide. Get a pack of feral cats...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Since I don't want to harm the Heron and feral cats are out of the equation it looks like I am just going to leave it alone. You would think the Herons would stay at the marsh where food is plentiful. Easy pickings I guess. If nothing else I should be able to get some good videos.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
Bb gun
Posted via Mobile Device
While that may work, it could get you in serious trouble with the Feds....Migratory Bird Treaty Act. They can get a little crazy about enforcement, to the point of raiding little kid's science fair projects. You can't even possess a feather from a bird covered under the treaty.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
While that may work, it could get you in serious trouble with the Feds....Migratory Bird Treaty Act. They can get a little crazy about enforcement, to the point of raiding little kid's science fair projects. You can't even possess a feather from a bird covered under the treaty.

i know that, out here if we have a problem with some animals, we take of it and periold.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I have used fishing go around the edges of the pond. Set it back from edge bout 6 10" and about 12 to 18" off the ground. Use rebar or whatever else to the line attache too. The herons cant see the line and run into it. They cant step over it cause of height and distance from pond they leave.. works very well around here and deal with them on a daily basis.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Electric fence. Seriously, it works great. Look up a Fi-shock SS-750.
That model is "pet safe". Go with a pulsed output. It is less dangerous, and actually more scary to animals.

My first version just had a bunch of 24" poles made of 1/2" PVC pipe stuck about halfway in the ground, and a single wire running along the top, around the perimeter of the pond.

Since then, I've made a decorative fence using copper pipe (even the uprights, but I connected the uprights to the horizontal parts with CPVC tees cut open, and zip ties, so I had electrical insulation from the uprights).

These kinds of fishing birds like to wade into the water, so if they don't have a good way to walk in, they leave.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping View Post
I have used fishing go around the edges of the pond. Set it back from edge bout 6 10" and about 12 to 18" off the ground. Use rebar or whatever else to the line attache too. The herons cant see the line and run into it. They cant step over it cause of height and distance from pond they leave.. works very well around here and deal with them on a daily basis.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is probably the most overall effective (and legal) method. You can add a 'Scarecrow' deterrent as additional insurance.