Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

88 Ford 7.5l ??

Can anybody tell me anything about one of these? I'm considering trading a quad for an '88 F350 with a carbuerated 7.5l. I assume it's a diesel but I'm a chevy guy and don't know jack about Ford. Seems to look like it's in decant shape. A local shop replaced the trans and clutch but the owner couldn't pay, so he gave the shop the title, so says the guy I emailed. Claims the dump body works well but never tested it with a load. That would have to be done prior to the trade of course. Says it needs a tie rod end and some spring bushings for inspection. no biggie. says the odometer shows 50,000 but doesn't think it's accurate. it's only 2 wheel drive but I have my pickup for plowing anyway. What do you think? are these decent trucks? I'd be mainly using it to haul firewood, mulch and maybe some stone/river rock and other debris. I wanted a dump trailer but this might work too. It doesn't have to a be Cadillac, I just don't want something I have to constantly fix. If you have one of these or know anything about em, give me the good, the bad & the ugly.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My experience with cars is that once they get near the 20 year mark or thereabouts it's something you have to constantly fix, with an 88 one more year it's an antique and I wouldn't want to drive anything like that on a daily basis... My oldest is a 91 and they're awful sketchy, the heat works sometimes, the radio does not, you can hear clunks coming from the drive axle shafts, and the list goes on but you get the idea.

I can also assure you, with those old 5-digit odometers that reset to 0 when they hit 99,999 miles, I can assure you that 50,000 is not accurate... More than likey it has at least 150,000 and probably more like 250,000 and I would not be completely surprised if it had 350,000 miles on it.

You just don't never know, unless you take a look at it, even then I wouldn't want something that old as a daily driver.

Now if you're hard up, that likely changes the whole story.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well it won't be a daily driver, not even close actually. it'd be my 3rd vehicle. I have a corolla I run around with, i have an 04 2500 for mowing/plowing and i'd consider adding a dump truck. This ford would maybe see 200-300 miles a year under my current work load, but I'd like to expand. I work within a 20 mile radius of my shop, that includes all my mulch suppliers as well. I don't think id even use this truck as my mowing truck, just for mulching, tree/brush clean up, firewood and whatever else I might need. Even tho it's an 88 I doubt a dump truck would have 250k miles I'd think more like 150k would be accurate but who knows?? I just found out the 7.5 is a 460 gas engine. still don't know jack about fords. only reason I'm considering is I have a quad that I literally never use, it just sits there and I'm having a tough time selling it for a worth while price. If I can trade it straight up for something I can use to make me some $ or make my life easier, its not costing me anything to swap it out. I'd rather a dump trailer to save on inspections/insurance and all that, but it wouldnt hurt to have another truck i guess.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 460 is a good engine, it loves the gas. In the first post you wondered if it was a diesel. I have never known a diesel to have a carburetor. 88 Fords gas engines were all EFI. It was Ford's first attempt at EFI. So the conversion to carb is fairly common.

Parts are easy to come by. I think it would be a worthwhile investment IMO, barring any sort major malfunction. If you're needing a dump, why not invest in a dump trailer?

Veritas and æquitas
Old 12-03-2012, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i had confused myself about a carbed diesel. I was thinking the ford 7. something diesel...found out the 7.4 is a 460 gasser.

Only reason for thinking about a dump truck over a dump trailer is that I'm trading straight up for my quad. I haven't found anyone willing to work that deal with me on a dump trailer yet, but I'd much rather have a dump trailer than a dump truck. it'd be one less thing to change oil, fluids, get inspected, etc etc etc, trailer would just be way less hassle
Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If it is as they claim, it would be a good purchase.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the info. I think I'll at least take a look at it. It's local in my town. I'm just torn about having to pay for the upkeep of a second truck I probably won't NEED. but if I had it, I'm sure Id use it. Still rather have a dump trailer tho. I'm still torn. if nothing else, I'll waste an hour of my time to go see it. I'm also considering trading my quad for a Kioti tractor. Just about to post in the tractors section.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, if it's in decent shape and I was in your position I'd definitely check it out, and if it checks out I'd go for it.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's your quad worth?

Is the ford your looking at a dually?

And if it is, is it a cab and chassis?

I had an 87 F-350, dually C and C with a 6.9 diesel. Not too bad of a truck but you want to check the rocker panels and the cab corners for rot. That and the body mounts and front clip mounts for rot.

Keep in mind too, if it's a cab and chassis dump, you'll only be at 12k gvwr. And if I remember my old truck and Mason dump, it was a shade over 1 ton for the hauling capacity, so keep that in mind.

In all honesty, I did a bunch of work to that truck, but parts were/are fairly cheap. The leaf spring hangers in the rear were the biggest repair I did as they were rotted through. But the hangers weren't too bad on price and I had the hot wrench skills to replace them myself.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Member

i got an 87 f350 460 GAS. The truck will pull or tow just about anything you want, motor is full of torque but it does like fuel