Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Customers bleeding you dry and how to handle it!?!

I want an honest opinion.....I have a customer that started out great 3 summers ago, I took alot of pride in their yard and made it something to be proud of instead of ashamed to tell people where you live, last summer I took in on trade their lawn equipment for lawn services, nothing I could use commercially but I figured it was payment and I w ould make my money back off craigslist, I was there every 2-3 weeks faithfully until I worked off the equipment, well this year they have been slow paying all summer to the point I actually had to send a bill 2 months after 2 months of services have been rendered.....Well here we are at snowplowing season, it had snowed for 2 days prior to me plowing so everyone had ample time to call or in their case respond to my messages seeing if they needed plowed out, 8pm last nite rolls around and by this time everything is frozen solid and they cant get in their driveway, I get a message to come plow them out at the crack of dawn. I live 12 miles from town but still offer the lowest rates because I plan my route out as efficiently as possible, am I in the wrong for telling them sorry I cannot come out because I already made my rounds and it's not fair to me or my paying customers if I am just expected to make a special trip and have no clue when I am going to be paid or be told to come on a day I am not in town.....Long story short is I felt I was being taken advantage of and probably should have handled it differently.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Here are a few pics......
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A) You let them get 2 months behind and continues to service them?
B) Your customers call YOU and tell YOU when to come and plow?

To answer your question yes, they are taking advantage of you and yes you are allowing it.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Most of my driveways are vacation homes and are paid in advance, cash at the door, or check first of the month. I call her to see what her "payment plan" is to try and avoid this situation. Some people are to cheap to realize they need plowed out until the plow trucks come through and plow them in.....she was also one of my first customers and I have since learned to handle the situation upfront, so I have very few customers I trusted on this basis.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I did driveways I set the terms, I plow every 4" at my per push rate. People would call and tell me the guy down the road does it for $25 after the storm. Fantastic, hire that guy, in fact give me his number so he can plow mine too
You have a good thing with the vacation homes, stick with that, a lot of guys up here making a killing off of seasonal homes.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I hate snowplowing......trying to make the best of it.
I also have been told what so and so can do it for, well why don't you hire so and so....oh cause he is unreliable and uninsured
Old 12-22-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleLawnCare View Post
I hate snowplowing......trying to make the best of it.
I also have been told what so and so can do it for, well why don't you hire so and so....oh cause he is unreliable and uninsured
.... It's the same thing no matter what service you are offering, they always know someone who can cut them a deal!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I hate to lose a contact, but it was like damn here we go again, enough is enough.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds kind of like you have a relationship with them.
Maybe they are on hard times.

The slow pay is the clue, perhaps the equipment in trade is too.

You may need to have a heart to heart with them.

Tell them you do have a bare bones payment you need. Maybe they can give you some reviews. Some people are just absent minded. I have a good client but they get slow pay at times but they do pay if I remind them. You just need to know your client and let them know you do have expenses and bills to pay too.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Duekster, I have not replied to her nasty text messages yet. It has been about 2hrs so I am sure she has called someone else. I am sure it is to late but your saying I should apologize and maybe offer a monthly payment plan, and explain that I have bills and a family to feed to.