Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Retracting a Bid

I gave a current customer of mine a bid on a project, and afterward realized it was way too low. I have not started on this project yet, and really want to give another bid. The bid was giving about 3 months ago, and I was planning on doing the job in a couple of weeks. Should I bite this one and do it any way?
(1) Zero Turn
(2) Husqvarna Packpack Blower
(2) Stihl stick edger
(1) walk behind edger
(5) weedeaters
(3) handheld blower
(4) walk behind mowers
(1) attachable aerator
(2) 22" Husqvarna hedge trimmer
(1) college degree
Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Was their a cut off on the estimate? I put a 30 day guarantee on estimates. If you didnt include something like that, you might have to bite the bullet and do the work.

I bid a job on Friday that was a mulch job. I called around, found one local store that had what I needed, the rest were out if stock. We live in a small town, so finding materials can be challenge. When i went to pick up the materials saturday...they made a mistake and DIDNT have what I needed in stock. Instead I had to drive 150 miles round trip to go to "Large home Improvement Store" to get all the materials I needed. Because I had already given the estimate, I ate it, and did the job anyways. I managed to make a whopping 6 dollars an hour for the 2.5 hour job if you dont include the drive time. Outstanding huh...LOL.

But in the end, the customer was very happy with the work, and will refer me to others, so I guess thats a plus.

So to answer your question, if there was no time cutoff on the estimate, and its a good customer you want to keep, you may want to do the work, as long as it wont cost you TOO much. Even if its not a regular customer...how might an increase estimate affect future jobs, and your buisness reputation. just a few things to consider, because from what ive seen (especially in a smaller town), word travels fast, and word of mouth is by far the best advertising that I know of.

Good luck.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, if there is no cutoff point (which you should have) then it was your mistake. You wouldn't charge a customer for not paying attention on their property and breaking your mower would you? Use this and learn from it, hopefully you get good marketing out of the customer and that is always worth something.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
Was their a cut off on the estimate? I put a 30 day guarantee on estimates. If you didnt include something like that, you might have to bite the bullet and do the work.

I bid a job on Friday that was a mulch job. I called around, found one local store that had what I needed, the rest were out if stock. We live in a small town, so finding materials can be challenge. When i went to pick up the materials saturday...they made a mistake and DIDNT have what I needed in stock. Instead I had to drive 150 miles round trip to go to "Large home Improvement Store" to get all the materials I needed. Because I had already given the estimate, I ate it, and did the job anyways. I managed to make a whopping 6 dollars an hour for the 2.5 hour job if you dont include the drive time. Outstanding huh...LOL.

But in the end, the customer was very happy with the work, and will refer me to others, so I guess thats a plus.

So to answer your question, if there was no time cutoff on the estimate, and its a good customer you want to keep, you may want to do the work, as long as it wont cost you TOO much. Even if its not a regular customer...how might an increase estimate affect future jobs, and your buisness reputation. just a few things to consider, because from what ive seen (especially in a smaller town), word travels fast, and word of mouth is by far the best advertising that I know of.

Good luck.
You are wise. Thank you.
(1) Zero Turn
(2) Husqvarna Packpack Blower
(2) Stihl stick edger
(1) walk behind edger
(5) weedeaters
(3) handheld blower
(4) walk behind mowers
(1) attachable aerator
(2) 22" Husqvarna hedge trimmer
(1) college degree
Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

is this a job you want to do? if it is, take the bite.

I way under estimated a job this past summer. I ended up making $10/hr operating my small backhoe. The lady called me back to do other work for her and her neighbor referred me to another customer that needed digging done. I got bit but healed quickly.

The thirty day estimate is good idea. I will have to implement that next year.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah...estimating is not my strongpoint either. After doing that mulch job, i went back and doublechecked all my measurements, and then also wrote down exactly what was actually used in the job, and how long it took.

By doing this, it may help as a reference on a future estimate. I cant take credit for the 30 day guarantee idea either. I was searching through "estimate sheets" for examples and found it listed on a few of them. After thinking about it for a few minutes, I felt it was a good idea, so incorporoated it into mine. Glad I could help.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I put 30 days on mine. Had a lady call 3 months after, looked up her estimate and saw i was low as hell. Told her it was 30 day price and it would be another 150 and she said fine do it
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
bid , cost , low , retracting