Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Ahh it doesn't hurt my feeling I didn't get it. First off after removing the side cover and exposing the rod and crank I surely would have seen that mess. Many of the photos we are seeing is never just a simple explanation of what truly went wrong with the engine in the first place. For a true explanation you need to get down and dirty and get involved with the engine.

This thread is fun to watch what others diagnose and truthfully many have a good handle on whats going on without even touching the engine first hand. I am sure many of us have seen some crazy unexplainable problems and maybe never see another one like it the rest of our lives. Thats the fun of doing this job.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Wayne...I 'll be the first to tell you that I don't have all the answers...and that fact still bothers me..
I really hate being the smartest guy in the room...and not have a clue...a pokerface comes in handy..
Nothing like a customer looking over your shoulder and asking questions you can't answer..
Yes...you're right...The Case Of The Missing SnapRing...is a rare occurrence..most will never see it...
Just like the valveguide that cross contaminated the other cylinder through the muffler..pretty slim chance of getting it right if you weren't there to see it for yourself..
I was hoping some other techs would share some of their more unusual engine failures...
I would rather learn from others experiences ...than have to figure it out on my own....
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I have no pictures of this happening but a few years back I was crew chief on a Nascar Modified. At the time we were having a fantastic year and leading the points championship. These cars biggest flaw was always heat. 240 deg on a caution run was not uncommon. Hard on engines? Maybe. Well during a feature race 15 laps in all you saw of our car was a eruption of steam. Done for the night . I never seen a radiator expand to a football before and sure enough ours did. 22 lb rad caps didn't help much either but needed it to keep from boiling. We took the engine to the engine builder (No I do not build these) and questioned what was up. My diagnosis at the time was one of two. Either a blown head gasket or Cracked block. The engine builder had the engine for a week we got it back and claimed nothing wrong. Back in the car it went and low and behold Thar she blows! Same thing. Long story short cracked block. Pressure tests, mag flux and just tons of other tests proved nothing. It needed 15 laps to heat to the point of pressurizing the system so much as to push every drop of water out of the block in one lap. Taking the fan belt off running the engine with thermostat neck off and block full of water showed when engine reached 220 the cylinder where the crack was, leaked by into water jacket on compression stroke!! Reason for extreme pressure and blowing out Radiator. 15 min in shop with my son we figured that out. Engine builder still didn't believe it when we proved it to him.

Am I a genius? Nope, just put 2 and 2 together and well a little basic logic and guess what you figure it all out.Even with a 22lb cap that Radiator should never expand to the point of the tubes becoming round. Only engine compression added to the water jacket would do that. Everyone has something to add and everyone experienced that one head banging problematic item. I guess that's why we have the Internet to get some of those answers. Keep the problems coming I enjoy them and even the answers right or wrong. At 58 years old I am still learning and better yet have the will to keep learning The old days of Clinton, Wisconsin B&S Tecumseh were fun well sometimes, these new engines well a challenge at times. But they still need fuel, air and spark to run! The rest is secondary.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Small engines are a lot like race engines...while they all run good out of the box..every once in a while you find one that runs great..a few centimeters here and there can make all the difference in the world....
The quest to find those small differences has kept my work interesting..and kept me with a paycheck..
I've built hundreds of small engines...and to this day I don't know how well it will run..until I hear it run..
You can cover all the bases and still encounter a bug you haven't seen before..
As my signature says...you're only as good as your last repair...do the work..
Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Heres a few Head Gasket issues..
#1 is rare...a leak between the cylinder and the lifter valley..
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

#2 is common oil leak between the oil drain and the cylinder..
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

#3...the small oil drain leak in the head gasket caused this...
Check Your Oil Daily...
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2012, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

HydroGear anyone..???
Name that failure...
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks to be a little galling 'tween the cylinder block and the valve plate.
Prolly not from a motor failure. Mayhaps a warped valve plate.

......AMF!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Heres a few Head Gasket issues..
#1 is rare...a leak between the cylinder and the lifter valley..
Mayhaps rare for a Kohler.......not so rare for a Briggs. ( as you well know)

......AMF!