Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do Not Buy Erie Insurance

Aside from their customer service being an absolute joke and jacking up the price on me to the tune of $500 at a time.
I was supposed to get a refund back on my first year of workers comp policy after I ended up not hiring anyone that year... what did they give me back on a $1400 policy? $7 Seven!

Extra fee's charged to pay them over the phone

Recieved bills that had a due date that was earlier than the billing date with late fees!

Trust me there were more that I cant remember!

Anyway, I thought when I canned them that I was finally rid of them. I didnt even care that I had pre-payed $500 worth in advance. I knew I would never get it back from these crooks. I was just happy to get rid of them. However, they continue to haunt me.

My new agent cancelled them 5/23/12. After no response, bills with late fees, etc- they were notified again on 7/20. No respose to the cancellations. Just more bills until they sent me to collections last month. So my new agent wrote them a third time on the 21st. No response, just collection letters for $800. Finally I called the idiots myself and they claim they never recieved any cancellations and that the original agent needed to cancel the policy. Not me or my new agent! I cant cancel my own policy. I asked what happened to the cancellations that my new agent sent even if they were not correct. what did they do with them? "We didnt recieve those".

Its pretty obvious what they are doing. They dont want to give a refund for the $500 installment I prepayed for. And they want to be able to sell the account to the collections company. Not surprising to be honest considering everything else I saw from them in 4 years.

Dont buy insurance from Erie!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have them for my trucks and never had a problem.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh I've gotten upset with more than a few of them and I am certainly not defending Erie but I can tell you what I have learned it is best to play their game, it takes a bit to learn how it goes but ultimately that's the easy way.

Only the insurance business...
Renews your policy without either your explicit consent nor having received your premium, but having not received the premium they will send collection letters. Never made sense to me, the electric, the phone, hell the grocery store won't let me walk out without paying before I eat so since everyone whom we can't live without wants their money upfront I'd figured the insurance company would too, but I have yelled and screamed about dammit don't you get that if I have not paid you do not renew?
But like I said, they all do it, best to just play the stupid game.

You HAVE to cancel it and do so by following THEIR scheme.
The list goes on, it can be aggravating until you get the hang of it.