Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem most guys have is not being able to walk away from work that doesn't meet their pricing needs. And if you can't meet your pricing you're either way too high (VERY doubtful) or your market truly cannot afford what you need. Listen, I'm part time and like I said can cherry pick what jobs I want so I'm in a unique situation. Don't like my price? Take the next guy then and gamble on service quality and/or dependability. I've quoted many many jobs I "lost". But for the ones I do get its soo much sweeter. Rarely do I ever budge when someone gives me the "look" when I give them a price. I'm completely nice about it and thank them for their time and thinking of my business, explain why I may be higher, and then I leave. Some shake hands and agree others just say no.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

labor (60 per man hr) + materials.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I pay $30 a yard for mulch and charge no less than $80 per yard to haul it and put it down. For this, I also include one treatment of Snapshot when the mulch goes down.

I charge extra for shrub trimming - $5-$10 for most small to mid size shrubs

I charge $1 per foot for edging with my bed edger.

I do run a special in March where I knock off 25% of the installation price ($12.50 per yard) just to get the cashflow coming in and attract new customers! I call it Mulch Madness. It's a big hit because most people around here are basketball nuts!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
I still have never fully understood this "price per yard" of mulch and how it can vary due to whatever.... Is it just throwing mulch on the beds or are you prepping them too as in edging, cleaning, etc....? I've had 1 job in 11 years that was mulch only. Most are clean, trim bushes, edge beds, pull weeds, install mulch. If I calculate it on a per yard basis most of my jobs would be $150-$200+ per yard. But I am an hours + material + profit = job cost type of person. If you're just actually only installing the mulch with ZERO prep I can see a per yard price working but still gets fuzzy. But again most of my jobs are trim, edge, clean, mulch...

He asked what our price per yard was. So that's what I answered. You don't know how much you charge per yard for each mulch type? My price can vary based on if I'm using a wheel barrow to haul it 50 yards or 20 feet. Or if that 50 yards is up hill or down hill. I'm not saying I itemize client's clean up/mulch invoices, but when I work up the project total before the estimate is sent out, it gets itemized on my end so I know what I'm dealing with. It's all in a lump sum total for all work provided when the client gets the estimate(hedge trimming, bed clean up, mulch, etc...). I do know what I charge per yard because that's how I arrive at the price for that particular part of the project. I get several mulch only jobs each season. And for the most part, all landscape beds in this area are bordered with some type of border edging and don't require edging, which I guess is a pretty common thing in other parts of the country. I think maybe it's just a regional difference.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My price would be mulch install only any addtional work = + $
Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Around here in ohio mulching is so screwed up!! We are constantly fighting against companies who are appling mulch for $50 a yard (weekend warriors). I always try to stay around the $75-$100 a yard mark prepped and installed. I was recently told by one of our big apartment communities we service that brickman gave them a price of $42 a yard!!! If things keep going like that here i'll be forced to shut the doors. Im NOT doing it cheaper, too much physical work for that type of pay!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I really enjoy mulch installs. I think it is one of the quickest ways to enhance and update a landscape. I'm quick and efficient with it and I think it's fun. I also enjoy sod installs so maybe I'm just a little weird!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope I feel the same way. Both services really make an instant change in the look of a landscape. I like doing sod jobs too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Mulch Delivery Pricing

We have been at $90 per yard since 2005. We only use premium 3cft bags of Hardwoods. nothing else.
We are often asked to lay red mulch or black dyed mulch.
I tell them no. Hardwoods only. take it or leave it. They always just take it.
I won't have my guys roaming the streets for the rest of the day with red stained pants.

Also sourcing product is simple. 5 mulch jobs today...one product ....### of bags.

We deliver and install and leave the trash bags on the curb.
Easy delivery and cleanup. If we have extra bags, easy to haul away.

darned large photos

Whole buncha crud

Last edited by lawn_jockey; 01-05-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Also if there is any weed pulling or bed cleanup needed prior to throwing down mulch we let them know and do not lay mulch until it approved or denied. We do bed cleanups for $100 per hour 3man crew.

This year we are raising the Bed cleanups to $120 per hour.

Whole buncha crud