Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Hey that's a nice truck/setup you got...
Thanks; we try to present a professional image while making ourselves as efficient and productive as we can.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I've gone down to $50 per cubic yard installed on a 55 cubic yard residential job at 3" deep (very rich neighborhood). That included edging. When the beds are that large your edging time per yard goes down tremendously. Not to mention there were some places with stone edging. $70-85 is a more typical price per cubic yard for me. I always charge a separate delivery fee though, whether I'm delivering it myself our having it dumped by 4 different trucks on 3 different days (55 cubic yard job)!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpturner View Post
I've gone down to $50 per cubic yard installed on a 55 cubic yard residential job at 3" deep (very rich neighborhood). That included edging. When the beds are that large your edging time per yard goes down tremendously. Not to mention there were some places with stone edging. $70-85 is a more typical price per cubic yard for me. I always charge a separate delivery fee though, whether I'm delivering it myself our having it dumped by 4 different trucks on 3 different days (55 cubic yard job)!
$50 per yard doesnt seem to profitable to me
Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
That doesn't sound unreasonable for such a large mulch job. There are definitely economies of scale associated with that type of work. Hopefully, you were able to negotiate a favorable price for the large mulch order.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlinger326 View Post
Around here in ohio mulching is so screwed up!! We are constantly fighting against companies who are appling mulch for $50 a yard (weekend warriors). I always try to stay around the $75-$100 a yard mark prepped and installed. I was recently told by one of our big apartment communities we service that brickman gave them a price of $42 a yard!!! If things keep going like that here i'll be forced to shut the doors. Im NOT doing it cheaper, too much physical work for that type of pay!
you dont seem to be doing the math with what you are saying...most people that charge $50 per yd are simply charging the price for mulch install and not including extra labor for bed prep as you said you do....So really you may be on the low end here hurting your own market. I do install some mulches at $50 per yd here in Ohio but my extra labor charges before install brings me competitive with most other companies
Old 02-26-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

i saw one guy on here saying that he charged $150 per yard. that included edging, weeding and all bed prep. i thought that was on the high end.
2012 exmark metro 36in
Stihl km130 weedeater with attachments
stihl fs100 weedeater
stihl ms 311 chainsaw
stihl br 600 magnum backpack blower

18 years old
Old 02-26-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

It was cheaper hardwood bark, $18 per cubic yard for such a large order. The best I can do in central Indiana on average sized jobs is $20 for hardwood bark and $24 for dyed brown, red, and black (per cubic yard). My guy delivers for $10 within 15 minutes of his business so I rarely pick it up. It seems quicker to scoop mulch out of a pile on the ground than mess with getting it out of a trailer. If it's above 5 cubic yards I get it delivered. Does anyone think it's unprofessional to have mulch dumped on clients' driveways?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

We use all bag mulch
Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
It was cheaper hardwood bark, $18 per cubic yard for such a large order. The best I can do in central Indiana on average sized jobs is $20 for hardwood bark and $24 for dyed brown, red, and black (per cubic yard). My guy delivers for $10 within 15 minutes of his business so I rarely pick it up. It seems quicker to scoop mulch out of a pile on the ground than mess with getting it out of a trailer. If it's above 5 cubic yards I get it delivered. Does anyone think it's unprofessional to have mulch dumped on clients' driveways?
i wouldnt get dyed mulch dumped...hard to clean up.......i would never put it on a driveway, only the road if possible
Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

we've dumped on the driveway before but used a tarp, especially if it's dyed mulch.