Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

We use a tarp sometimes also. My first year doing mulch I made the huge mistake of letting them dump dyed mulch on a gravel driveway, with no tarp. I got to see that black stain the whole summer every time I would drive by their house... luckily they were nice about it. I had one customer ask if I could have mulch dumped in front of their house in the cul-de-sac. When I called to have the mulch delivered they said that was a big no no. Apparently my mulch guys had made that mistake before and been fined for it! I guess it's illegal. We'll see if I can keep from making any big goof-ups this year...
Old 02-26-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpturner View Post
We use a tarp sometimes also. My first year doing mulch I made the huge mistake of letting them dump dyed mulch on a gravel driveway, with no tarp. I got to see that black stain the whole summer every time I would drive by their house... luckily they were nice about it. I had one customer ask if I could have mulch dumped in front of their house in the cul-de-sac. When I called to have the mulch delivered they said that was a big no no. Apparently my mulch guys had made that mistake before and been fined for it! I guess it's illegal. We'll see if I can keep from making any big goof-ups this year...
I know what you mean! the problem is, you don't realize it's a goof up until after the fact!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Here in PA I get $100/yard. That includes mulch at about $25/yard, delivery, edging, and minor weeding. So labor you can say is $75. 95% of my customers have no problem with that price and I get the job. Most of my mulch jobs are between 2 to 8 yards.

Now here is a question. A have a guy that I bought my new truck off of a few weeks ago and he wants me to mulch his yard in a few weeks to pay off the truck. He said last time it was mulched it was 50 yards. The biggest I have done is about 20 yards. For it being a bigger job, how much off should I take off of my normal price. Like I said I usually get $100/yard. Another question is what amount of mulch do you start giving a break on pricing?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I give a good deal on the bigger jobs. It's so much simpler to have one big job rather than 5 average ones. If it's 50 yards, there will probably be big mulch beds which means you won't have to worry much about getting into too many tight areas. I hate when I have to spend an hour scooping mulch out of my wheelbarrow with a small pitchfork to get around all the tight spaces. There won't be as much edging per cubic yard either. Plus, you should be able to get $2+ discount per yard on mulch with a bulk order like that. On the other hand, I had a 30 yard job where there were a million sticks and lots of leaves leftover from fall so I kept my normal rate to make up for all additional prep work. There are lots of factors besides the amount of mulch they need that can adjust the estimate. Sometimes you don't realize some of those factors until after you gave the estimate and you're doing the work!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes you don't realize some of those factors until after you gave the estimate and you're doing the work!

That's true for all jobs and it sucks when it happens, but then again that's why it's called an estimate! Not a quote. I try to always leave myself an out.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I am new to mulch installs as well. My ? is with customers that already have a bed what is the best way to know if they need mulch added. If the bottom inch has decomposed would you just add an inch or if the ground is showing in spots and it is very thin do you just add 3"? How do you sell this also as I am sure the customers arent the first one to bring it up? Do you usually add each yr if not what is the normal duration?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I market very heavily in the well off communities where I live. This is because these people want 2-3" every year! Adding an inch a year is probably a healthy amount, although some would probably say that mulching every year is a waste. To be honest I'm not sure. All I know is if someone is insisting on getting 3" it's hard to tell them otherwise! I like putting a thin layer on mine every year. This is mostly for aesthetics. If you spread mulch thinner always raise your per cubic yard rate accordingly!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fellas quick question. I have about 4 yards of garden soil to put down and 60 bags of mulch. I'll be using about 3 wheel barrows for the job also. Material cost me around $700. How much would you charge the customer?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

1900$ ....
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So that's with material right?
Posted via Mobile Device