Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Brush Clearing Estimate Help

Hey Guys,

I've got a call to estimate a brush clearing job. It is 3 acres of this (see photo). What do you guys think is fair for this. By the way, I'm in south florida.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is the full three acres that thick? Have you done any clearing like that? I would look for a contractor in your area with a mulcher or skidsteer brush mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to go ahead and do it with a stihl brush cutter and a DR
Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdown View Post
I hope your not serious. Good Luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

why would this be so difficult? I'm not cutting the trees down, just the brush.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

eh, 3 acres will take a while with a walk behind. I'm with Kajun, seemed you were gonna clear the whole thing. if you're not messing with the trees or palmetos or whatever u call those things down there, I think a walk behind cutter would work fine, just take awhile and be killer on your body. I've used a Billy Goat cutter several times in the past. I make a lot of $ on those types of jobs. But I take the ones nobody else wanted to do because it was on the side of a steep, slippery hill or infested with briars or whatever other reason. But I charge accordingly. It's a PITA but it's worth it to me. But then again, I don't do 3 acres at a time either. You might want to consider renting a compact tractor and bush hog. youll have it done in a few hours, if not itll take you 2 days, that's if you work fast. If you decide to rent something, be sure to factor that in to your bid. Good Luck
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MJ Services, thank you for your response. I am on board with your kind of thinking. I am not "big" yet, and I'm thirsty for jobs. I actually really enjoy this kind of work (although, heck is it taxing on the body). At the estimate tomorrow I am going to check the clients time frame. If it is more of a casual "get it done in the next couple weeks and I'm happy" type of gig, that will make it much more appealing. Frankly, I would enjoy being out their busting my butt in the cooler weather we have this time of year and I will make some more christmas money.

Krazy Kajun, I completely understand and appreciate your input from a management point of view. Respectfully, I think that your point of view is coming from one that has an already developed and busy/thriving business (my fault for not clarifying)...if I were in the situation Krazy Kajun Enterprises were or another thriving business, I really that the time/cost justification would not be there unless I could delegate it to someone with the proper equipment. However, since time in on my side (lots of it), I'm probably happy just to get the gig. That being said, doing it with a brush cutter would be a pain and I want to make it look good. I've got my DR, but I might rent a tractor to assure quality.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did a similar job this year. I rented a bobcat with the bullhog attachment. The machine, including delivery, was 1k for 8 hours of use. My site was about 1 acre with a lot of trees to drive around, which takes time maneuvering. I also mulched down many trees that were about 6 inches in diameter, more time consumption. Total run time on the machine was 9 hours, total time on the job..12. IMO, if it is only brush the same machine would chew it all up in 8 hours of run time. Bonus with the bull hog is everything is chewed into almost nothing.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 12-04-2012, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdown View Post
I own the biggest DR WB brushmower with the 17 hp kaw. and 30" deck. I have done countless clearing jobs. I try to keep them at around an acre or less. I have done larger properties such as this. If it is real thick and you have to run the DR in 2nd gear, you will be there for awhile. If it is wide open and not real overgrown, you may be able to run 4rth gear. If this the case and you have the time it is doable but still going to take awhile. I would require payment up front or at time of the service.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh yeah, definitely. I won't spend 8 hours at a job and then have someone not pay me. Definitely paid up front :-) I've learned that the hard way!