Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

any updates on the 100g's?

I know there were some grumblings about the early build pt100g's, specifically about alot of electronic issues.

I'm just wondering if the 2012s had most of that worked out. There is one listed on machinerytrader with 85 hrs for 73k, or a 2011 with 540hrs with forestry guarding for 61k.

I love our rc100 but I want to think about selling it before I start running into major issues as it has about 2500 hrs on it and its our main machine.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

What I saw at the dealer a few months ago gave me reason to pause, I am not in the market for this machine but the mechanic I was talking to was working on a newer PT 100 with the hydraulic tank, plastic, that broke, underneath the motor. Required R&R of motor, transmission. Combine this with the plastic (?) fuel cell that wraps around the outside of the machine and you have the makings of very expensive and unnecessary repairs down the road. Its engineering decisions like these that would cause me to dismiss a machine at face value. This coming from someone who owns 2 terex/ASV machines.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

We traded our PT100 in for the JD 333D with mulcher and ahve been very happy with it.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

After using our rc100 to mow some detention basins last week, I am absolutely convinced that an mtl is the right machine for us. We have worked in many places where a ctl would either have destroyed a lawn or sunk. Also we rely on it for snow services and dont want to have to swap to polar tracks every year.

Besides, I like the op capacity of the 100 in the small package. Its 72" wide which means I can get it alot of places where the 84" JD wouldnt go.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I lost you on the MTL vs CTL....and since I have owned and run both machines and am confused.....I am guessing many readers have lost you too......please explain the cutoff for us for the abreviated ancronyms.

Are you calling a RC 100 a "compact track loader" and a JD 333D a "midsize track loader" both under but close to the 100 HP? Is there a LTL too? (large size track loader).
Old 11-04-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

MTL = Multi-Terrain Loader, ASV/Cat suspended undercarriage. CTL = Compact Track Loader, rigid undercarriage offerings from the rest of the big manufacturers.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 11-05-2013, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry for the confusion, but Scag got the description right. Cat's with models that end in 7 are mtls, 277, 287, 297 and units that end in 9 are ctls, 279, 289, 299 etc...
Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And ASV (now Terex) throws a big wrench into the mix since they've called their rubber tracked machines CTLs-Compact Track Loaders from the very beginnings back in the 90s. CAT first coined the term Multi-Terrain Loaders (MTLs) to differentiate from ASV in the early 2000s.