Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

How many college guys out there?

Just curious to how many college guys are running a lawn care business. Would like to hear how you guys run your business, days that you cut, times, scheduling, amount of accounts etc. I go to school full time for pharmacy, work at rite aid 3 days a week and spend any free moment left over doing landscaping work. Anyone else in the same boat?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Where are you at on the island nick? I went for 4 years and got my degree. Now I work all week to pay the loans haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I go to school full time studying business. Have all my classes MWF 8-1 and work tues/thurs and mwf 2 till dark. And weekends if need be. My two employees are part time so it works out well. Next year i plan on having them work Monday through Thursday cutting, leaving 3 days for rain and up sell work. I'll Have them start out the days I'm in class and meet up with them to finish off the days. But I know the craziness u feel working 40+ hours and I'm taking 16 credit hours in school. Gotta love what you do and be determined to get through it especially during crunch time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I go to school part time. I have classes from 6-9 3 days a week. This works out because I can't work in the dark anyways. It's a lot of work but it will be worth it to walk away from school with zero debt. If you tell your customers that you are going to school as well they usually understand if something comes up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nick, what year are you in? If I my memory is correct, the last year is pretty time-intensive with multiple rotations, no? Plus, whatever ungodly number of clinical hours and boards prep time you need.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im 21, on to my 4th year of college, on the 6 year plan probably. We maintain 135 residential accounts weekly ranging from 1/4 of an acre to 4 acres. We also do 6 commercial buildings, 2 home owners association 'common areas' and 2 apartment complexes. 75/25 Maintenance/Installs…. Two trucks 5 guys.

College isn't easy maintaining good grades without sacrificing time for the business. Ive been at MSU for 3 years and its tough, but once i finish i will be able to focus on the business and have piece of mind that if anything happens i have a finance and investments degree.

Insured and Licensed
Old 12-06-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry i didnt answer the question. The way i do it. Two crews go out monday-wed. One landscaping one mowing. The landscaping crew mows thursday -friday for all the commercials we have. I go to school Mon-Wed 8-3. I have thursday and friday off. So i get all paperwork, bids, scheduling and billing out then. I try to end early on friday to have an enjoyable weekend. The only way to stay sain, it to relax.

Weekends are for family in my opinion. Family is too important to me to be working weekends. Im in a financial situation where i don't need to work to be making money with where my business is headed. I supervise, make sure things are going smoothly with the crews, and make sure landscaping site plans are being read correctly and quality is staying high. My guys know what needs to be done and they know that when they slack off, hours increase and red flags go up in the book. Also, i will tell by the work being done. And its quickly changed.

Insured and Licensed
Old 12-06-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dropped out last year. I sort of regret it in some ways. I dot have a passion for lawn care- but I do for running a business. When I dropped out I said I would give myself three years. If i didnt have what i wanted, id go back and finish y finance degree.Net profited $2,557 (my pay- $30,000) this year (barring any addition jobs). That's with a 4 month pre payment on my shop rent.

Saved 7-10k on 4-5 semesters of school.
Make a less than i would like- but if I can gain 10,000 net taxable income per year....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do both full time. Its hectic but luckily I built it to where its at now by starting early in high school. Still do a lot of field work but am slowly being able to just have the crews go out without me being there the majority of the time. Still have 3 more semesters to go but college is definitely worth it fir many reasons including what Delong mentioned above.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Landscaping View Post
I do both full time. Its hectic but luckily I built it to where its at now by starting early in high school. Still do a lot of field work but am slowly being able to just have the crews go out without me being there the majority of the time. Still have 3 more semesters to go but college is definitely worth it fir many reasons including what Delong mentioned above.
Sounds awesome. Congrats. What kind of revenue are you producing?
Posted via Mobile Device